Cam replacement

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Has anyone on here ever replaced a cam in a 63 409 without pulling the motor out of the car. Seems we used to do it, but darned if I remember how. Right now, I have my cam out to the last bearing. It hits the grill, and won't come out any farther. I thought about removing the grill, but that has gotten to be a project in itself. I just really don't want to remove the motor. Don't really have the room to do it. I've thought about dropping the rear of the motor to increase the angle, thinking this might give me more room to get the Cam out. Or, raising the front. Neither is easy to do. Note in the pictures, the cam is out to the last bearing. The distributor gear is out. And, the cam is against the grill. The first picture is the cam at the next to the last bearing. The grill doesn't seem to want to come out, either. I have removed about all the bolts I can find. It still is hanging tough. Have thought about removing the motor mount bolts and jacking the motor up in the front. The grill falls away the higher the cam goes. Can I put a jack under the crank snout to do this, or is that a no no. Have thought about dropping the rear tranny mount to get the front up higher, but that gets involved with the drive shaft. Seems like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. I don't remember ever having this problem in the past.
I need ideas.

Thanks

Fred

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Fred

remove the trans.to frame mount and let the driveshaft rest on the bottom of the frame tunnel. small block guys don't have this problem ,they just miss out on al the fun we have with these BIG engines!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fred, Try what Gearhead said and if you need to raise the engine do it the same way it looks like you are doing it now. With a block under the pan.
You should be able to pull the long bolt out from the engine mounts without messing with the frame or block bolts.

Looks like you need to get rid of some junk in that garage !! :D

Or dill a hole in the grill and after reassemble run the freash air hose through there !!!! :eek:

Good Luck,,dq

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Changing a damned cam

Need to get rid of a LOT of junk in the garage. But, most of it is worth something to somebody. Gonna give it a try to lower the back and raise the front. Like I said, I sure don't remember ever having to remove the grill to change a cam in the old days. Of course, the memory isn't always all that good. Maybe the mind erases the hard parts, and only remembers the easy stuff.

Fred

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Cam is in

Well, the cam is in. Found the rest of the bolts holding the grill in. Only 10 that I had not seen. Well, really 4. Had to take some trim off to get to the bolts holding the grill. Just hope it goes back in place without gouging the paint. This was probably the best way to do it. Couldn't get to the motor mount bolts due to the headers.
Oh well, now to clean up gasket areas, lube the lifters, and hope like hell hat this was just a fluke thing. The lifter bore seems to be OK. Still doesn't make sense to wipe a lobe after all this time. Gonna be real careful with the break in. Sure don't want to do this again, soon.

Fred

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Cam

Putting the same thing in that was in it. It seemed to be a good cam. Lots of power, esp. Mid range on up. I get them from Erson. I have sold several of the same cam to guys around here that have heard and seen my car run. On the street, that is. Never had it down the quarter mile, YET.

Fred

M

MK IISS

Fred: Remember the "Barber John" red '63 409 we saw at the Garlits museum? It has a small notch cut out of the grill to facilitate cam change. I realize you wouldn't want to cut you grill

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Cam

Thanks, friend. Too late, now. Now I have about 20 bolts to replace to get the grill back in.
I do remember some people cutting a hole in the grill for cam replacement. I was thinking it was higher in the grill than where mine was hitting. It was hitting right at the bottom of the grill.
Allen, you coming over to the Good Guys race at Indy again? Sure hope so. Trying to get a bunch together to come. Maybe get to run some like we didn't get to do at KC. Maybe get some of the MANDRA cars over.
Never did hear about your picture I posted :) Steve said there might be a story you might like to tell!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap
By the way, your help is appreciated.

Fred