Cam Selection

starsailing1

Supporting Member 1
Great Video!!! Love that 409 sound. When the High Rpms are pulled its got that one of a kind grab ya by the...grunt sound to me. We have a local 409 55 chev gasser street driver. I always wanted to record that sound. Now I have to go out this am and beat my 58 chev motor a bit before I pull the big cam out.!
Dave

The car just plain looks cool. Jim:bow
Leaves quick too:eek:
Too bad the camera folowed the Fiat... would have liked to see you car as it pulled away.

BlueSwede

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
It sound good!!
I have to settle for the sound and to dream that my 348 will grow up.. :roll

I still can drive around and dream and listen to this though...

:cheers :cheers

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The car just plain looks cool. Jim:bow
Leaves quick too:eek:
Too bad the camera folowed the Fiat... would have liked to see you car as it pulled away.

A Fiat. Is that what that was??

I'm with Aubrey on this. I would have loved to see more of the 55 on that run.

Jim....that car lauches like it was hooked to a catapult.

P.S. You got my vote for Best car for the lead 1955 Chevy role.... if ever there was an American Graffiti III ??:D

Ron

Attachments

• Phantom.jpg
    Phantom.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 66
  • 55chevyFALFA.jpg
    55chevyFALFA.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 52

33Chev

Hi Ron, I waited 8 weeks from Crane since the begining of August and also no cores available (seems the foundary shut down). they finally told me to call Nolan at Isky, and he had just a few cores. Crane said they all get the cores from the same place. Cam was ground and shipped last Friday. Maybe this helps, Jerry

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Sorry for not returning your replies til now, haven't been able to get on computer all week. I guess I kinda sounded a little ignorant saying that it accelerated like a small block, Aubrey, but this is my first try at a 409 like this, with all the modern go fast stuff in it. It just seems that this cam grind really complements the characteristics of the 409, ya know. The steep ramp really works well, I think. I think the 109 degree LSA really creates a lot of chop and I've always liked a flat tappet over a roller when it comes to sound. In past experience, I've had to use a much bigger roller cam to get the same kind of sound. The manton pushrods are just what the Dr. ordered for anything high performance. Terry Manton and his crew really turn out a quality part and they will work with you on any questions you have, they're really good on custom length pushrods too. We've run them in our NASCAR motors for years with 0 failures. You fellas have a great one, gotta run! Jeremy PS- Can't make a video yet, but I'm working on it!

larry t

Well Known Member
Hey guys,
I installed a Z-45 cam in the last 409 I built. Doug heard that one run and said he wanted one that sounded more radical at idle. I also specified that I didn't want a cam that would kill valve springs. We called Bullet Cams up and this is what they sent. I'm curious to hear how it sounds and see how it runs.

Attachments

• bullet%20specs.jpg
    bullet%20specs.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 57

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
needs more

That cam has good duration, but you need to be around .600 to .620 lift. I have not broken any springs with my cam. I'm right around .600 with mine.