Cam Shortage

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
This is probably here on the site somewhere but I ordered a Cam from Comp for my 496 and they say the cores are not available and don’t know when. Is it just them or industry wide?

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Call Bullet cams, they have better products and most likely you won't end up with a flat cam like Comp crap cams.

Reactions: Tim

425/409ER

Well Known Member
The problem mostly comes from the lack of quality flat tappet lifters.Yes,I've seen more than a couple of Comp's that had lobe failures,even wih trick oil's and additives.
Even when I got the good Johnson lifters back in the day we still had Comp failures. Scooter Brothers told me once they have had bad batches of cores from time to time.

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I just cancelled a bullet order for a hydraulic roller that I'd put in ?? two months ago for a Pontiac engine. No cores to make one from they say.

Reactions: Tim

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes there are people that regrind. But if you have a flat lobe there is no real fix. I think they can build it up but not sure of that process. It will probably be a better product & more cost effective to just buy new. IF you can get one. There was a new/regrind ?? 348/409 flat tappet cam on eBay. Been there for a long time. Like Don said, I think the main problem today is the lifters. Or at least that is mostly what the chatter is claiming.
Jeff

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I had picked out a cam 11-443-8 for my 496 build and that’s the one Comp said they couldn’t get cores for. It’s hy roller extreme energy and all extreme energy family cores are short supply. On happen stance I was on Amazon last night and they had one left. Bought it before it disappeared. Now just need a set of roller lifters…

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks Don, I’ll get a set ordered. Took both blocks to Armstrong’s this morning and they said there’s a lot of projects sitting in their engine shop waiting for parts.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Apparently the performance world ones are made by Gaterman Products out of Daytona Beach FL
Sent performance world an email and got this back.
Howards are produced by Gaterman also. Gaterman is an OE producer for many brands.
Bill Gaterman was a tech at Crane Cams for years along with Mike Golding who now solely produce hydraulic roller lifters as Gaterman Products LLC.
And now everyone knows where to get them!!
Lots of stock from Performance World here in Canada

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Yup Certainly Howard’s Lifters labelled different! Sticker under the Performance sticker on the box says Gaterman Products

Attachments

• 94F291DD-F7CC-4358-AD91-11F346C0C602.jpeg
    94F291DD-F7CC-4358-AD91-11F346C0C602.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 12