Can someone recommend a fan?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I will be running a fan clutch with my 409. I bought the Hayden Severe Duty #2797 clutch.

Went and looked at a Hayden 18" steel fan #3618 at O'Reilly Auto Parts tonight and right on the box it says "Not meant for engines over 250 cubic inch." Hmmm. Wonder why?? Brian has one of these on Jerry's 62 Impala (per the other thread).

I can buy a steel Flexalite steel fan from Summit in any number of sizes to work with the fan clutch. But these say "not for severe duty clutches..." So what gives?? Who can recommend a nice steel fan to use and also what diameter.

Thanks much!!:brow

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yeah, I saw that disclaimer too when I got the 3618 fan. In the research I have done the Flexalite fan is the hayden fan just rebranded, but they don't make that claim. I have not had any troubles with the fan since I installed it, but still don't like that staement.
In an effort to get even more cooling, I ordered a 7 blade fan (772) from a 70 LS6 chevelle. It came in yesterday so I installed it and it didn't cool as much as the hayden 6 blade fan so the six blade goes back on today. I also noticed that the repop fan shroud I am using is not round, but oblong shaped. For max vacuum pull by the fan the fan should be as tight to the shroud opening as possible and the blade should be no more than halfway in , but with an engine driven fan you have to incorporate about a 1" gap for engine movement and expansion of the metals.....this will cause you to lose efficiency. I know the stock fan shroud is not the best design out there and it may have to be modified to function more efficiently. I am looking into this and am going to try to make some modifications for inprovement, but I do want to keep most of the stock look.

I am going to get this W -block running hot issue rectified one way or the other. I am to the point of pulling them out of mine and Jerry's car and just putting in LS motors so we can enjoy the cars whenever we want, but I REALLY DON"T want to do that. I love the 409's and they will not kick my a$$...at least not yet. There has to be a combination that will work.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I can say the Flexalite steel race fan (for use without fan clutch) that I was using on my 327 was a REAL nice fan. That Hayden I looked at last night was very lightweight and the blades were somewhat flimsy. Infact it had a gimicy name on the box (like Turbo flow or Turbo Flex or something similar to that) that would suggest it operates similar to a "flex fan" :rub

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Brian,

As you know, I've been fighting this problem for a while now. I'll be interested in your findings and hope that one or the other of us can find a real solution... :coffee In your Impala, don't you have a wider radiator with duel fans ?? Thought you had the problem under control in that car ?

Bill

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I had a Flex-fan ( FLEX-A-LITE ? ) on my '57s 327 drag engine. It's on the motor in my avatar picture that lasted through 1 burn out.:bat Then disintergrated ( Threw 3 blades during the burnout and put a nice dimple in my hood.) :cryIt had green fiberglass blades if I remember correctly. I got a steel hub with riveted aluminum blade one from Moroso and that one worked great for years. I think I might even still have it somewhere in my garage. My car never ran over 190 degrees all day long. I think I used a 68 Camaro 396 stick radiator also.:scratch

:crazy:cheers

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You need to understand some basic propeller aerodynamics to understand what is going on with the fan. The fan is no more than a fixed pitch propeller. Since the purpose of the fan is to provide airflow instead of thrust, think of thrust as airflow. Each fan design has a specific blade pitch and achieves maximum efficiency at the particular forward speed that blade angle was designed for. If it's not moving enough air standing still or low speed, then assuming good shrouding, you probably don't have enough blade angle to move the air.....the fan is cavitating.
As far as flex fans, centrifugal force tries to make the blades fly off and aerodynamic twisting moment tries to change the pitch. They had better be designed to withstand these forces or you're asking for trouble.
http://www.experimentalaircraft.info/homebuilt-aircraft/aircraft-propeller-2.php

bobs409

Administrator
I think this is a good time to break out the fan through the hood pics of my truck. This was one of those pretty stainless steel flex fans you see in the speed shops. It was on when I bought the truck. Just glad I wasn't sticking my head under the hood when it decided to fly off! :eek

I was driving it about 45 mph and when that shot off, I thought a grenade got tossed into my truck. From the one blade being off, it was so out of balance the truck felt like it was riding on 4 flats all the way home.

P.S. That didn't just go through the flat sheetmetal but also the hood reinforcement!

fan2.jpgfanthruhood.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
This fan blade discussion must have been overheard by my '62 Belair, as she decided tonight was the night to "hurl the blade". i still need to examine more closely, but the four bolts holding the blade and pulley in place decided to shear off, throwing the blade into the stock Harrison 409 radiator (which was cooling well prior to the mishap). I hope I am able to salvage the radiator and possibly have it recored?

No pics at the moment, still under investigation!

Best,
TomK

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I've heard of people being killed because of those damned things.Fo2d used them on some trucks back in the 70's-early 80's and had all kind of problems,including a recall if I remember correctly.My advice would be run,dont just walk away from one of those flex fans.JMO

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm thinking I may just order another Flexalite steel fan (non flex fan) like I was using on the 327. They are very nice quality. Will need to get one that is compatible with running a clutch fan however

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This fan blade discussion must have been overheard by my '62 Belair, as she decided tonight was the night to "hurl the blade". i still need to examine more closely, but the four bolts holding the blade and pulley in place decided to shear off, throwing the blade into the stock Harrison 409 radiator (which was cooling well prior to the mishap). I hope I am able to salvage the radiator and possibly have it recored?

No pics at the moment, still under investigation!

Best,
TomK

Bummer Tom!! Examine the Grade of bolts used to mount the fan. They need to be at least Grade 5 bolts!! Seen stainless steel bolts shear too often! Hope you can get her fixed up soon

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yeah, I saw that disclaimer too when I got the 3618 fan. In the research I have done the Flexalite fan is the hayden fan just rebranded, but they don't make that claim. I have not had any troubles with the fan since I installed it, but still don't like that staement.
In an effort to get even more cooling, I ordered a 7 blade fan (772) from a 70 LS6 chevelle. It came in yesterday so I installed it and it didn't cool as much as the hayden 6 blade fan so the six blade goes back on today. I also noticed that the repop fan shroud I am using is not round, but oblong shaped. For max vacuum pull by the fan the fan should be as tight to the shroud opening as possible and the blade should be no more than halfway in , but with an engine driven fan you have to incorporate about a 1" gap for engine movement and expansion of the metals.....this will cause you to lose efficiency. I know the stock fan shroud is not the best design out there and it may have to be modified to function more efficiently. I am looking into this and am going to try to make some modifications for inprovement, but I do want to keep most of the stock look.

I am going to get this W -block running hot issue rectified one way or the other. I am to the point of pulling them out of mine and Jerry's car and just putting in LS motors so we can enjoy the cars whenever we want, but I REALLY DON"T want to do that. I love the 409's and they will not kick my a$$...at least not yet. There has to be a combination that will work.

Have you tried driving with your right foot in any other posistion than on the floor?? JMO :eek:laugh:hide

:crazy

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ray..............................you're just down right...........................................ornery!!!!!!!

Ever ride with him??? Only person I know buys two new front tires (flat spotted at 120mph, guess where the throttle was) at Discount tire, then does a 2 minute burnout when leaving depositing half the rear tires. And he said Bob created :crazy for me????...........................................I'm just sayin

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think this is a good time to break out the fan through the hood pics of my truck. This was one of those pretty stainless steel flex fans you see in the speed shops. It was on when I bought the truck. Just glad I wasn't sticking my head under the hood when it decided to fly off! :eek

I was driving it about 45 mph and when that shot off, I thought a grenade got tossed into my truck. From the one blade being off, it was so out of balance the truck felt like it was riding on 4 flats all the way home.

P.S. That didn't just go through the flat sheetmetal but also the hood reinforcement!

View attachment 17062View attachment 17063

But can it still thin slice tomato?:dunno I better go to bed now.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have you tried driving with your right foot in any other posistion than on the floor?? JMO :eek:laugh:hide

What fun would that be??? :dunno

Ever ride with him??? Only person I know buys two new front tires (flat spotted at 120mph, guess where the throttle was) at Discount tire, then does a 2 minute burnout when leaving depositing half the rear tires. And he said Bob created :crazy for me????...........................................I'm just sayin

I flat spotted the front tires because the linkage got stuck at WOT (Edelbrock progressive linkage loosened up) when I lifted my foot the speedo was maxxed out... first thought was to apply brakes....all it did was lock up the brakes, create a crap load of smoke and was still accelerating....Second thought...Turn key off!!! Just as I went for the key the linkage released. My neighbor won't ride in that car anymore.:laugh
As far as the burnout....I needed to break-in the Nitto Drag Radials!! :D

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:dunnoSo Brian,your saying Ray's chicken?:crazy

I hate to admit it ,but, I have done worse. And stupider. ex: 77 Cetury w/421 pontiac, 2.90 rear 135 on Farm & Fleet white walls. Same car, raced 427 vette while towing trailer. And the list goes on and on and on.:doh

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I hate to admit it ,but, I have done worse. And stupider. ex: 77 Cetury w/421 pontiac, 2.90 rear 135 on Farm & Fleet white walls. Same car, raced 427 vette while towing trailer. And the list goes on and on and on.:doh

And you recently got a million miles safe driving award? :D