Candy Apple Kicker

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You will buddy!!! My 18 year old challenges my patience, but in the end all worth it. He wants a 62 Belair Post Car; 327...Can't argue with that; most kids his age want a "rice burner."
That is great!!!! Especially great that he wants to start off with a 327 in it and not something bigger. I am so thankful now that my '61 had a 300 HP 327 out of a '63 or '64 when I got it. If I had started out with a big block or 409 either the car and/or myself probably wouldn't be here today.

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
SITREP;

I had A-1 Driveshaft; local here, cut two inches from the forward 1/2 of the assembly, balanced and completed while my son waited for it! Installed the drive shaft, fits like a glove... Still have a fuel tank, steering column and front bucket seats to reinstall. Engine harnesses installed, found a correct wiring diagram for the mini alternator. Trunk mount battery installed, still need to wire it. Hoping for a "shake down" cruise this week.

Jarhead-OUT

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've had a trunk mounted battery since the mid-90's, but if I were doing it again I would just leave it up front. I have been kicking around the idea of mounting a small battery on the firewall just above the heater delete plate. I'm not sure if there is room over the Jardine fenderwell headers or not.

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I've had a trunk mounted battery since the mid-90's, but if I were doing it again I would just leave it up front. I have been kicking around the idea of mounting a small battery on the firewall just above the heater delete plate. I'm not sure if there is room over the Jardine fenderwell headers or not.
Hey bud,

Took off and spent the day in the shop. Got the electrical completed and powered everything up for testing. Reinstalled the fuel tank, had to modify the low mount alternator bracket to obtain satisfactory clearance for the rag joint. I have to install the radiator and fan shroud; fill it, burp it and fuel her up with the VP 110. I will get some pictures up when I am satisfied it is done. I am going to take it to my Dad's buddy for a front end alignment since I had it so far apart. I can get a 4 wheel alignment now with the adjustable panhard. Trunk mount battery works well. No voltage drop detected from aft to the starter lug. New harnesses help I am certain. Can't wait to fire it up...

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The only real way to determine if you have voltage drop is while cranking the engine, as the voltage drop is a factor of the cable resistance to current flow and the current being drawn through the cable

just a thing to look out for is loose terminals as they increase resistance as well

Good luck, cant wait for the pics to come through

Steve

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I always ran a rear mount battery when I was racing back in the day. I still use a trunk mount battery with the 348. The oil dipstick on the 348 is right in line with the factory box. It's all good.PictureKodak easy share photos 884.jpg :D
:crazy:cheers

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Here is a pic of the trunk with all the plumbing.PictureKodak easy share photos 743.jpg
from my racing days. 4 Holley electric pumps and a truck battery.
Those pumps gave me 9 lbs of fuel pressure to the carbs through the hole run.:D

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The only real way to determine if you have voltage drop is while cranking the engine, as the voltage drop is a factor of the cable resistance to current flow and the current being drawn through the cable

just a thing to look out for is loose terminals as they increase resistance as well

Good luck, cant wait for the pics to come through

Steve

Dont get me wrong here with my comments about voltdrop

I run trunk mount batteries in my 37 furd, 56 chev and they work fine and can be a good way of getting weight from the front of the car to the rear as with Butch's 57 pic above.
I am just saying that voltage drop can only be determined with electrical load.
You can run a piece of wet string from the battery terminal to the starter and still get 12 V, but it wont crank

Steve

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Dont get me wrong here with my comments about voltdrop

I run trunk mount batteries in my 37 furd, 56 chev and they work fine and can be a good way of getting weight from the front of the car to the rear as with Butch's 57 pic above.
I am just saying that voltage drop can only be determined with electrical load.
You can run a piece of wet string from the battery terminal to the starter and still get 12 V, but it wont crank

Steve
Steve,

Thank you for the tip; best I could do was turn the headlights on to create a load... I am glad to say I started the car today; first time in nearly three years since I pulled the engine to "freshen it up." I took it way beyond that; my hats off to the guys doing frame offs. Did not need it. Good old Texas Car. The front seats and steering column are still out of the car. I filled it up with VP-110, primed it and after the fuel pump picked up, the car really sounds healthy. I will get the interior back in it tomorrow and pull her out and give her a good wash and polish after a shakedown run or two. Before I drive it, I want to get the front end aligned and have my friend Henry give her a front end alignment and put her up on his lift and check my work. Second set of eyes never hurts, especially a set that has been a professional since before I was born! He gets to road test it too!

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15

This picture was from back in the day. It was a 1967 327 .60 over , 283 small journal crank 5.7 aluminum rods. idled at 2200 rpm w/6:17 Camaro 12 bolt rear. If I remember correctly it ran low 11's.Those carbs are Holley 650s on a Weiand Tunnel Ram manifold.
My Avatar on the left shows the street 348 in the car now.

Last edited:

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Radical; homegrown 302 with something extra!!! That is a quick car! Neat; thanks for sharing those photos! 327 is my favorite small block; got a 1964 327-300 in the shop.

Sean
Sean , I still have the long block ( make offer PICK UP ONLY ) ) and the "Moroso " valve covers are going on FEE_BAY next week . Any one interested? I will post on the for sale forum next week.:ebay