Car show questions

El Rat

Well Known Member
What question are you asked most often at car shows. Notice I didn’t say “stupid” even though....

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If they don’t say correct year, as a lot of folks say this is a 63 or 64 Impala.
Being that my Impala is a 62, the 3 most asked question are:

1) is this a all matching car. (Answer NO)
2) is this a real 409. (Answer yes, but it’s a real 1964, QB block stamped block & dated, meaning dual quad carbs (which I do have in the garage at home) running aftermarket carbs now for ease of Daly operation.
3) which to me is the most stupid question when you are looking at a 58 year old vehicle.
Two questions as one, IS THIS THE ORIGINAL “PAINT or INTERIOR “. (As I start to turn away from them, all I say “NO”)

have a sign that says “NOT FOR SALE”
The 4th question would be “WHAT IS IT WORTH”.

Dave

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I don't do car shows anymore, used to with the Corvette but those guys are soooo critical of every little detail (wrong hose clamps, that sort of thing) on my driver C2 that I stopped more than a decade ago. I did have the BA409 car at a swap meet back in the day, just for fun I stuck a For Sale sign on it and asked too much ($15K). At the time it had a 1965 passenger block-based engine with proper stamped suffix code, 583 heads and the 881 intake topped with Edelbrock carbs. The previous owner removed the 1965 oil pan to install in the '62 frame and I guess all he had was a 348 pan, so on it went. So this know-it-all is telling his buddy that it was a 348 because the dip stick was on the wrong side. I was standing nearby and offered to bet him $1000 that it was a "real 409" engine and he kept going on and on about the oil pan. I asked if he noticed the big heads or anything else, he just poo-pawed around.

My favorite line used to be "let's go over to where your car is and I'll pick it apart while you stand there and gawk"...

Cheers! TomK

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Not the last time that I saw it it didn't.I had a very negative experiance at a car show back in 67.After that my attitude has been "F'em and the horse they rode in on."
I'd like to hear your negative experience .

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I can't wait until my El Camino hits a car show next year, I'm going to confuse the he'll out of any who hasn't seen it on this site.
Multi-Port fuel injection - check
No distributor - check
Coil packs - check
Pro Charger - check
LS wanna be - nope
Original 348 block - oh hell yeah!
Doubt anyone will bother to take a look at the Jag IRS, and even if they do, they probably won't see the inboard brakes. I'll just tell 'em I ran out of funds and didn't put them on.
Built for one person's idea of fun, mine!

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I can't wait until my El Camino hits a car show next year, I'm going to confuse the he'll out of any who hasn't seen it on this site.
Multi-Port fuel injection - check
No distributor - check
Coil packs - check
Pro Charger - check
LS wanna be - nope
Original 348 block - oh hell yeah!
Doubt anyone will bother to take a look at the Jag IRS, and even if they do, they probably won't see the inboard brakes. I'll just tell 'em I ran out of funds and didn't put them on.
Built for one person's idea of fun, mine!
:burnout