Carb replacement 63 Impala 409 2x4

FAZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Looking for some feedback on carburetor replacement, not an area of expertise for me. My 63 409 has dual Carter Competition Series 625 CFM. I am not sure what if any engine modifications have been made, What I know is that the intake is stock and has Crane Rocker arms (roller).No performance issue’s main goal was to clean things up. Learning the carbs are not original I thought I would replace them with a couple Edlebrock carbs. My concern is oversizing and am looking Edlebrock AVS 500 or 600CFM.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
There are several very competent rebuilders on this site, and a few out there who have good reputations also. I'm just saying if it were mine, I'd probably consider one of the rebuilders here, or somebody like SMI. The AVS2s have a pretty good rep, but the Carters are sometimes preferred by people who know a lot more than I do.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have the original carbs on a couple of engines and edelbrock 1405/600 cfm on my latest one i prefer the original carbs but i am still working on the jetting on the edelbrock ones. Those carters should work just fine are they running ok now

Reactions: FAZ

FAZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have the original carbs on a couple of engines and edelbrock 1405/600 cfm on my latest one i prefer the original carbs but i am still working on the jetting on the edelbrock ones. Those carters should work just fine are they running ok now
They do and are running good. Just considering if I should rebuild or replace while I have them off.

Reactions: 327

FAZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
No performance issues but you want to clean things up. What needs cleaned up specifically?
I have taken the time to freshen up the paint on the chassis, engine and under the hood and finding that the previous owner rebuilder weren't very gracious with things and the carbs could use some work to bring back to looking original.

Attachments

• 20230226_164355.jpg
    20230226_164355.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

wristpin

Well Known Member
Look in your area vapor blasting. I has mine blasted at MV Cycle in Lincoln Ne. Rebuild kit i got at Advance Auto. Had them get the best quality not cheapest

Reactions: FAZ

FAZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Look in your area vapor blasting. I has mine blasted at MV Cycle in Lincoln Ne. Rebuild kit i got at Advance Auto. Had them get the best quality not cheapest
I've been struggling to find a place near Myrtle Beach area for a place that does glass beading I imagine will have the same success with vapor blasting. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

wristpin

Well Known Member
If you would like MZ cycles info pm me. They do old motorcycles so i know theyd work with you on shipping or whatever