Carburetor Recommendations

I have 340 HP - 409. It currently has a Carter 3499S carb. The carb needs to be either rebuilt or replaced. I do not have the skills to rebuild it.

Buy a new carb or get this rebuilt?

New. I am looking at an Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS Carburetors 1806.

Rebuilt -- I need recommendations on where to send it. I live in the Chicagoland area.

Thanks.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you go new,consider the Street Demon 625 as well.I was under the impression that 340/409's came with Rochesters,not Carters.The 3499s is for a 400 horse 409?

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a Edelbrock performer 1406 on my 64, in the 4 years I haven't touched it, waiting to put twin 4's on, drives good but could use a little more fuel.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Why do you feel it needs to be rebuilt or replaced and not simply adjusted...which you could do with advice found here

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes what exactly is the car doing that makes you think it's the carb.Things like ,but not limited to,stumbles/flat spots,flooding/black smoke from the exhaust,rough or uneven idle,ect.? That carb is not the original for a 340 horse,those are completely different.The carb that you have is a very simple,very reliable carb,that once right will serve you quite well.I noticed a place on line called Chicago Carburaters[know nothing about them otherwise] that says they can restore them,but you could buy the Street Demon new for about 40.00 less money .

Yes what exactly is the car doing that makes you think it's the carb.Things like ,but not limited to,stumbles/flat spots,flooding/black smoke from the exhaust,rough or uneven idle,ect.? That carb is not the original for a 340 horse,those are completely different.The carb that you have is a very simple,very reliable carb,that once right will serve you quite well.I noticed a place on line called Chicago Carburaters[know nothing about them otherwise] that says they can restore them,but you could buy the Street Demon new for about 40.00 less money .

It used to run great now it stumbles and floods when I give it gas. My mechanic buddy looked at it and suggested a new carb or rebuild.
I am newbie thank you all for your responses.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Often carbs are blamed for engine performance issues. Before spending alot of money on a new carb or carb rebuild ensure the sparkplugs, plug wires, points, condenser, cap & rotor, advance weights and springs, dwell, timing are all set and good. Then spray carb cleaner into your carb where ever you can get the spray into. Then reset your carb air and idle. You may find stumble and performance improve immensely. If it still has issues go from there. Doing all these other things first would only take a few hours.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Can't tell much, from a picture, but maybe your carb is flooding, inside and out.:dunno Looks like the paint on the Intake Man. is peeling.:doh Like wristpin said, make sure, those Carb Gaskets aren't leaking. Do you need All of them?:scratch

wristpin

Well Known Member
Take a little liquid dishsoap/water and put it into a (Here it is..) 409 type spray bottle that has Stream/Spray nozzle. Have strong enough concentration that when you stream the mix it foams up good. If there is a vacuum leak it will suck the foam in. I have more luck with this method than starting fluid or other combustable fluid method. If you overspray into the carb it doesnt rev up like other methods do. Plus I'm a cheap skate. Spray around carb, any vacumn hoses and head/intake seating surface. Do you have a vacumn guage that you could put on to see what your vacuum does at idle, steady driving rpm and what it drops to when you hit the throttle hard while driving.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Take a little liquid dishsoap/water and put it into a (Here it is..) 409 type spray bottle that has Stream/Spray nozzle. Have strong enough concentration that when you stream the mix it foams up good. If there is a vacuum leak it will suck the foam in. I have more luck with this method than starting fluid or other combustable fluid method. If you overspray into the carb it doesnt rev up like other methods do. Plus I'm a cheap skate. Spray around carb, any vacumn hoses and head/intake seating surface. Do you have a vacumn guage that you could put on to see what your vacuum does at idle, steady driving rpm and what it drops to when you hit the throttle hard while driving.
And if you have a vacuum leak, the vacuum gauge will bounce all over the place.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I street raced with Gene in the late 60's. Got a real job in the late 70's. Not sure if he is still there, but the company is. Everybody I've talked to in the past has said they did a great job.

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 8.01.18 AM.png

El Rat

Well Known Member
Sum ting wong when you have that many carb gaskets. I would start there. If you are trying to insulate from manifold heat that is not the way to do it. A phenolic spacer would work but 1st remove all of that crap and investigate.