Carpet Insulation

Daddys409Belair

Supporting Member 1
Say Guys-

What would be the best type of insulation to use under my carpet, along the firewall, under the headliner, etc.? I see a few different types on the market:

• Plastice bubble with aluminum foil on both sides

• Some type of polester with fiberglass with foil on both sides

• The same polyester with single foil backing

What has your experience been with these? With the 100+ degree weather down here, I want it well insulated. I even talked myself out of painting the exterior black due to the heat!:mad:

Thanks In Advance.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Under carpet

I used a rubber material under the carpet,recommended to me by Phil Reed. It may be more about sound deadening than insulation, I am not sure. It was a "kit" cut for the 60s floor pans. Heavy stuff. Rolls out flat and covers much of the area under the carpet, front and back.

I didn't put anything under the headliner, nothing against the cowl. But then I live in Missouri. Perhaps others have some recommendations as well.

Good luck!

TomK

62wagon

Dynamat. Just put some in the '58 and I could not be more pleased. I went ahead and did the firewall, floor and headliner. Over that I am putting the jute padding for the carpet. I am shocked at the difference between covered with Dynamat and not covered. I agree, it is a little pricey but I would spend the money again. BTW - Check eBay for the best price.

Mark

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Other options

I just read an article in a Corvette magazine about some products that are sprayed on the bare interior of your car, if that's the state you are in. One is for insulation, the other was for a sound barrier. If you're interested, I can look them up, as I already forgot the names of the products :).

Best,
TomK

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
One spray on product is called Lizard Skin. They offer both a thermal insulator and a sound insulator version. These can be used together in succesive layers and it can be sanded and painted over with conventional automotive paints.

www.lizardskin.com