Carter AFB date code deciphering

LITL409

I have a Carter AFB 3361s with a date code of B8B. Does anyone know what this means. I think it means 2nd week , Feb, 1958. Anyone know for certain?

Also the date code is stamped before the 3361 on the same line.

Thanks

Junky

Well Known Member
B is for "beautiful" if it is a NOS carb, or B for bad, if it is a used one that has been sitting for years. AFB's are great carburetors if they are functioning properly, but can give you lots of headaches when they are not. Relatively easy carburetor to rebuild, if someone else hasn't had their hands in there, and messed with it. Biggest problem with carburetors, are the mass rebuilders of carburetors back 40 years ago. Any part that fit, would be used, even if it wasn't the correct part.

427John

Well Known Member
The most problematic area of any carburetor that has uncracked or unwarped components is the various small passages such as air bleeds or small fuel passages that can be difficult to clean properly.I'm sure most of you guys have seen the results of moisture or ethanol fuel sitting for a long period inside of a carb,this can be cleaned with the proper tools and lots of patience and attention to detail restoring the carb to original function,the problem though is the corrosion also destroys the coating that was meant to prevent it which allows the rapid reformation of the corrosion if diligent steps aren't taken to prevent the introduction of water or ethanol.A common method of cleaning aluminum parts, glass beading while effective can introduce plugs to passages that can be even harder to remove

LITL409

Thanks guys. Makes sense it was a replacement carb. Any suggestions on a place that could rebuilt it correctly or determine if it was good for a rebuild?