Carter Carbs

vanst

Well Known Member
I've recently rebuilt my 62 409/425 and she's running a little too lean. Does anyone know where I could purchase a "Strip Kit" so I can try some different Jets, Seats and Springs? I heard they can be hard to find. Thanks Terry : :help

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
vanst said:
I've recently rebuilt my 62 409/425 and she's running a little too lean. Does anyone know where I could purchase a "Strip Kit" so I can try some different Jets, Seats and Springs? I heard they can be hard to find. Thanks Terry : :help

If you can`t find a Carter kit get an Edelbrock kit and use the jets and metering rods from that kit.
Edelbrock carb manuals also have a great chart to figure out what parts to use.
The Edel carbs are just an updated version of the Carter and all internal parts can be used,,dq

bobs409

Administrator
I bought a Carter strip kit from Summit or Jegs a while back. It was about $49 I think.

Turned out, I only needed to change the metering rod springs in my case so I ended up selling the kit to an fellow member here.

I suggest you try the springs first as they only cost $10 something. I got those by ordering from Advance Auto Parts. (Edelbrock)

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:) now here's somethig I know a little about. I never checked the old carters for this but found it on the Performer 750 on my 454. Check the distance from the top of the carb (with the metering rods removed ) to the bottom of the cavity where the springs seat. Mine were different by .090. The holes where the vacuum pulls on the pistons to pull the rods down were not even close to matching either. This made it impossible to balance side to side. If you just put the springs in and look at them, they should stand up the same amount. If not you can machine them equal or make shim to make up the difference. I e-mailed edelbrock to ask the blueprint dimension theynever replied. As much as I liked the old carters I had back in the 60"s, I'll be using Holley's from now on, I have had excellent help from their tech department with our racing dirt late model carbs that I have been modifying to "meet" the sanctioning body rules.

Ray

vanst

Well Known Member
Thanks for all the great response Guys I'll look into the Edelbrock parts. I had these carbs "Professionally" rebuilt and restored by a National known vender. Right from the start I had choke problems and a mismatched jets in the primary carb which leeked excessive fuel while running. This caused the plugs to fowl in about 10 minutes, I worried about washing the engine out! Thank :hug God I found the problem right away! Anyway I did fix that issue and the car runs fine now except as I said it's too lean. I'll start my investigation now at my local parts store for the proper parts for my carb.

Do I need to mess with the idle circuit on the front carb or just focus on making the rear primary a little richer? Thanks Terry

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What cam and compression are you running?

I`ve messed with mine enough I could get you very close on your jetting and rods with this info,,,,dq

vanst

Well Known Member
dq409, thanks again my 409/425 has an Isky 262 cam and 10:1 pistons. I hope this is the information you were looking for. Terry

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
From what i gather from your cam and compression you should be able to go with Curt Harveys starting point. (see below)

I also started here and upped the jetting but my cam is a lot more radical then yours.
I bet this should be very close to what you need.

Also get the Edelbrock tuning guide. It will help you understand how to adjust your carbs.

You can view it on line at Edelbrock .
Click on carburetors, then Carburetors Owners Manual.

Good luck, let me know if you need more help,,,dq

14) CARBURETORS: Modifications needed to run new style 600 Carter or Edelbrock carburetors?

New Edelbrock and Carter AFBs are identical carbs. Under the carb use either a 1" spacer with open plenum or Edelbrock #2732 plate. The new style carbs will develop a vacuum leak under the carbs without this. We recommend 600 cfm manual choke carbs since they react to jetting changes better. Remove .100 or .101 primary jet and put .095 secondary jet in as primary. Put .086 jet in as secondary. Use the 7047 metering rod. Adjust each idle mixture screw out one turn and each throttle out 1.5 turns. Adjust each idle screw to obtain maximum vacuum and then adjust throttle screws equally to obtain idle speed. DO NOT adjust idle mixture screws all the way in on front carb. Use the lightest metering rod springs that does not surge at highway speeds (usually 5" to 7" below idle vacuum - if engine idles with 12" vacuum try 5" springs first in both carbs). Edelbrock #1470 spring assortments are available from us.