Carter fuel pump

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The discusion on fuel pumps got me thinking.:scratch I'm going to need a fuel pump for the 55. I like the price and simplicity of a mechanical pump, especially if I didn't have to run a regulator. I've noticed that the 62 shop manual recomends about 10 psi fuel presure at idle for the 409, but Edelbrock recomends about 5 or 6 psi. I'm pretty sure I could run the Carter strip pump that puts out 7 to 8 1/2 psi and 120 gph. Especially if i drop the float level a bit. And I think 120 gph should be enough for my engine (about 500hp) I think that's the way I'm going to go... unless somebody talks me out of it.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Jim, nothing wrong with running a regulator, a Mallory regulator with a pressure gauge looks trick under the hood with braided steel line running out both sides. I think 5 psi is a good idea for fuel pressure with the Edlebrock needle and seat. I wouldn't want to see you have problems with over filling the float bowls, that can get frustrating real quick. Be sure to mount the regulator in front of the carb with line running straight back to inlet so you don't starve for fuel upon launch. That goes for both mechanical and elec pump running with 5 psi. Just my take on the subject, I'm sure whatever you do will be correct.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think I'll try the 120 gph street pump that has less presure. (5 1/2 to 6 psi) It's cheap and shouldn't need a regulator. I'll put a gauge on it and if the presure drops too much I'll break down and get a Racepump like the one in Models916's post.