casting #

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I suspect it will have the ArmaSteel main caps, and as Don noted it is one of the better 348 blocks to use if you are performance inclined :).

What are your plans for it?

Cheers!
TomK

the casting # 3857655 is strange and dose not appear in any of the books or web sites. the # 3857656 dose appear on the books and sites. but that is why i took a picture of the casting #. as you can see it ends in 655. nobody seems to know. also i should note it has an X on the front of the block.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Steve,the "x" started in 62,and usually meant better [armisteel] main caps,and slightly thicker main caps.I don't know why our info section doesn't list them[Bob???????],but they were used in the last couple of years of production,and had had the latest updates for these engines.It is a great basis for just about any application that one could want.Are there any stamping numbers at the front of the engine?

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't mean to butt in here, but I have been with Steve on another forum ( Trifive.com ) and he also wanted to know what this suffix code reads. We know T= Tonowanda, 3 = 3rd day and 233 = August, but what horse power is the AM ?
Sorry Steve. I don't want to take over this posting, but I was curious to the AM....

TO3233AM

randy you are not butting in. thank you for responding. the # stamped on the front of the block is T 03233AM

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 13

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The truck engines,when equipped wwith a 4bbl.carb carried a gross hp rating of 220.This very same long block,as far as heads,pistons for compression ratio[7.75-1] was also used in marine applications,industrial applications,both for gasoline as well as natural gas,and agricutal uses.In all but the truck and marine applications,the horse power was usually stated in net hp.I think that engine might be of the farm equipment/Marine/industrial varity,but can't prove or verify that.Since the plan is going to be for performance,it doesn't make any difference since the only parts that you're going to re-use will be the block,possibly the 333 heads,and the "tin" anyway

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The suffix 3AM is an alpa-numeric code used mostly on industrial engines.
The assembly date is o3 (March) 23. Your casting date will likely be a two digit julian date (1-365) code.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Are the front 4 bosses drilled and tapped? That would assure it's truck and not a later car replacement. Maybe?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Not the case. The "X" could be found on both the 348 and the 409 casting starting around 1962-3 or thereabouts. Yours is definitely a 348 block with an "X". That's a good thing. A mic in the bores will tell you a lot and will confirm that.

Those "X" blocks, both 348 and 409, all seem to have the better main caps (marked with "ArmaSteel" on the caps).

Admittedly it would be better if it was a 409 block with an "X"....

Good luck!

TomK

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Not the case. The "X" could be found on both the 348 and the 409 casting starting around 1962-3 or thereabouts. Yours is definitely a 348 block with an "X". That's a good thing. A mic in the bores will tell you a lot and will confirm that.

Those "X" blocks, both 348 and 409, all seem to have the better main caps (marked with "ArmaSteel" on the caps).

Admittedly it would be better if it was a 409 block with an "X"....

Good luck!

TomK

Tom, I have a 63, 340 hp 409, and it has the X stamped on it. So, you are saying that this 09 has the better main caps correct? I was thinking " why on a 340hp" could this be the case or not? I'm just curious.......

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The Armasteel main caps had "register" on the end that secured the main cap better to the block. The 62 production 409 had the same main caps as all the 348's. I thought I have posted pictures of both main caps long time ago but I can't find it.