Cecil--you need one of these

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
http://vimeo.com/16117810

This is even better than a 3350! It was planned for installation in a Super Corsair. The one used in WW2 used 2800's. Goodyear made ten F2G's that would use the 4360 and I think 3 are still around. But hard to beat the sound!
Let'er rip! Now that engine took a lot of parts to make it work. A nice start for a brand new engine overhaul! I sure would like to see the F4U once the engine is installed. The Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy aerospace museum has one of these cut away and powered by a motor so you can see all the parts moving. It is very complicated.

Friends,

Below, you will finda great test stand video of the Pratt & Whitney 4360 Wasp engine introduced in 1944. Basically, the engine was 28-cylinderfour-row air cooled radial engine. Each row of pistons was slightly offset from the previous, forming a semi-helical arrangement to facilitate efficient airflow cooling of the successive rows of cylinders, with the spiraled cylinder setup inspiring the engine's "corncob" nickname. A mechanical supercharger geared at 6.374:1 ratio to engine speed provided forced induction, while the propeller was geared at 0.375:1 so that the tips did not reach inefficient supersonic speeds. Initially, it developed 3,000 horsepower, later models gave 3,500 horsepower.
The 4360 powered the B-50, successor to the B-29 and later the B-36, to name a few. And although reliable in flight, the Wasp Major was maintenance-intensive. Improper starting technique could foul all 56 spark plugs, which would require hours to clean or replace. As with most piston aircraft engines of the era, the time between overhauls of the Wasp Major was about 600 hours when used in commercial service.
Why am I sending this to you? Because it looks and sounds neat. That's all. Just a test stand video of a newly restored engine. But turn the speakers all the way up. Bask in the roar of twenty-eight cylinders belching the sound of freedom. Also, the sound will most likely clear out the cat, your wife and any other extemporaneous people not accustomed to military sounds and the glorious roar of a Pratt & Whitney "round" engine.As the Warbird people say, "Jets are for kids."

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:rub56 plugs x about $35 each=$1960 for a plug change.

:noNope, I have a hard enough time just affording new copper washers for my 18 plugs after I clean them. I think next time, I'll just put the old ones on a cookie sheet and bake them in the oven when wifey isn't home.
I got my newly overhauled carb on ($2950 overhaul) and it sure runs better, but I got a 100 rpm drop on the left mag, so pulling and cleaning plugs and then I have to adjust the idle mixture and fuel pump pressure and I'll be ready to run.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I'll have to show my wife the cost of your toys and maybe she'll realize how cheap shooting and 409 hobbies are.:dance:dunno

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yeah, but at 6 bucks a gallon, I'm not going anywhere. Just trying to get it flyable so I can sell it.:(