CFD Stamped Block

56 chevy

Gentlemen I have recently inherited a engine from my Father. It has the CFD stamp behind the driver side head. I dont see an engine suffix code anywhere. The question I have is Did CFD mark the block in a different location than Tonowanda? This motor is suppose to be an L80 425 Hp Long Block. Heads, intake, etc are Different. Any help would be appreciated!

bobs409

Administrator

If there is nothing on the front stamping pad, the block may have been "decked." (machined)

I have a CFD block too and mine has the VIN, build dates and suffix stamped on the pad.

Here it is:

stamppad.jpg

56 chevy

Found it!

I found the engine suffix on the back of the block driver side head area. Its a 3830814 Block. I think this may be a Z_11 block. I will have to pull the heads on it one day and measure the stroke to be sure. Thanks for help!

bobs409

Administrator
That number is the casting code, not the suffix. That number was used for the 400/425 409 and the 427 Z-11.

You need to look in the spot in the photo above. That will have the suffix code. QA for 400hp, QB for 425hp or if you really stepped in something....QM for the 427!

The heads for the 400 and 425hp were 690's. (number ends with 690 that is)

See the main site for how to decode most/all of these numbers.

Good luck,

Bob

56 chevy

No suffix code

My fathers 348 block was trashed in 63. The gentlemen that did the engine work got ahold of the block in a crate from some guy that was a drag racer in 63. The mechanic at the time told him the block was a prototype engine. He put all the 348 parts on the block. It has 14-1 compression. There is no engine suffix code anywhere on the block. The pad is machined where it should be located. I was interested in finding out what the block is so I can get the real parts the engine deserves. So for now I have it down to a few possiblities. With some luck ill be able to close in on the heads, cam, intake, etc. and let that puppy breath!
I appreciate all the knowledge this site is bringing me.

Thank You

Found out it was Art Malone who ordered the block but didnt want it!

56 chevy

Photo's

Sorry no pics yet! Its in need of some work. Not a fancy car by any means. and its a four door. Maybe the next time I get it out of the garage ill snap some for Ya! Is there anything in particular Your intersted in seeing?

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Photo's

56 chevy,I've had my 09 in my 57 for 23 years now I'ts good to see an 09 in a shoebox and that your from Mich :D

bobs409

Administrator
I'd be on edge wanting to check those heads if it were me. :D

Pull the valve covers and check the casting code and look for CFD there too. Jot down all numbers you find. There should also be date codes on the block, heads and other parts. Mine has the Julian dates which is three digits.

It's a good idea to jot down all numbers/marking you find on any of it. We'll help you decode when your ready.

56 chevy

Bob
The engine is 3830814
The date is 313
but
The heads are 3732791
GM 5
J957
The intake is 3749948
which are 348

My concern is the short block that was installed.
If You read an earlier entry, I gave You some info regarding what I have heard about this engines history.

Currently im interested in:
Does dome pistons mean anything.
I will have to pull the engine apart to get the cam ID numbers(The cam came with the short block)
The crank and pistons were also in the short block.
Ill have to pull the heads to measure the stroke and the bore.

jm32409

Supporting Member 1
I too have this same block #814 with CFD stamped on it, also it has an X on the front. My block is a QG which is a 340HP and it also had #817 heads so it definitely was a 340HP, but what exactly does the CFD mean. I found this motor in a 57 Chevy in an old junkyard.

Jeff

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Cfd

CFD stands for central foundry division. That is where your block was made. During a strike this is where the blocks and heads were cast. :)

bobs409

Administrator
Do a search on this forum for CFD. We hashed this out not long ago.

CFD stands for Central Foundry Division. I had always heard that these blocks were meant for experimenting but due to a strike, they were used for production cars. The jury is still out on that one though. :D

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Z-11 Block?

My question would 348 heads work on a Z-11 short block?It seems like the valve springs would coil bind with a Z-11 camshaft :dunno

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It might be possible to check the stroke through the spark plug hole. The Z11 crank had a stroke of 3.65" The normal 409 stroke is 3.50" All 348's and 409's have what most people would describe as domed pistons. They aren't really domed like a regular high compression piston but they do look domed because they aren't flat on top. I think Jim's "coil bind" question is a good one. Here's a link to Z11 info from this site. http://www.348-409.com/z11.html

CFD is Central Foundry Division. Tonawanda foundry was a part of the Central Foundry Division. The X doesn't mean anything, it could only signify a pattern change, X's are found in every year. The only way to find out if it's a "Z-11" is to measure the stroke, Z-11's were built putting a 3.650 crank in a 409 block.

56 chevy

Crank ID #, Cam ID#?

The 348 head issue is an interesting point! I have thought about trying to measure the stroke though the spark plug hole and even may still try it, but with such a small difference .150 might be difficult without a dial indicate.

The next question I have is, Where is the crank ID# Located. Some friends of mine thought GM may have put it on the outside of the block for easy id.
ie. Flywheel flange or near the front harmonic balancer/pulley

or even the cam ID# location