Charging system for drag racing

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm wondering if I can get by without a charging system on a drag car.:dunno It'll have an electric water pump and cooling fan.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Alternator

Get a one wire g.m. self energizing alternator. I have read tests that the amount of drag an alternator is on the motor is less than the amount of h.p. lost due to decreased voltage available for the ignition system.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim, I agree with MRHP . The gain is not worth the loss. We use 2 batteries in the Chevy II, but still use an alternator. Fan, water pump, fuel pump , etc. ..Too many electric stuff to take the chance of running low on ignition voltage.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Jim, If you are concerned with HP loss due to the drag of the charging system see if you can locate underdrive pullys for the 09. Do small block pullies fit our waterpump and damper bolt pattern, I think they do.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm not concerned about the horsepower loss. I was just thinking, (always dangerous) of ways to keep the costs down. I was also thinking that the engine would look cool with no pullies but at least I can low mount the alternator. I guess that the alternator might also contribute to more consistant times because of the more consistant voltage.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
think of Smokey

Smokey mounted an alternator in front of the radiator with propeller blade on it and let the air spin it. I guess it freeked out the NASCAR tech guys.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
You can drive the altenator off the drivshaft under the car and use an electric drive for the water pump!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The drag cars I see that don`t have a charging system just charge the battery between rounds.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well there you have it , Jim... Different people doing the same thing (racing) and getting the job done with opposite techniques. No wonder new guys get confused after watching us debate about stuff. :roll :roll :roll

MRHP said:
Get a one wire g.m. self energizing alternator. I have read tests that the amount of drag an alternator is on the motor is less than the amount of h.p. lost due to decreased voltage available for the ignition system.

Sometimes your first thoughts are the best.:rolleyes:

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll go with an Optima battery and If I don't run out of time and money I'll low mount a mini alternator.