Cheater Slicks...

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
A friend of mine recently found a near-mint pair of white wall cheater slicks. Lucky for me he thought they would look better on my 63 than his 65 convert so he gave them to me!! They mount on 15" wheels and the tread is 7.75" wide. They are about 28.5" tall. They have a 1" whitewall.
I'm trying to determine what would be the best size wheel for these. Maybe a 15x6? I'm looking for a chrome reverse wheel to match the fronts. Does anyone here know of any good sources for such a wheel?
Has anyone ran such a tire on an x-frame before? The diameter has me wondering about clearance issues. I'm a little concerned about the drivers side wheel well since the rear end is offset to that side by about an inch.
Any help would be great!!
Ross

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Get an adjustable panhard bar and center your axle. Will handle better too.:) I think they are 100 bucks or so.

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Maybe those slicks belong a museum ?? I have a set of 7.10 X 15 casler ? slicks that are absolutely brand new they still have the little nubs on them.

They need to go on ebay and on the correct car in a museum. :clap

Make your panhard bar adjustable / just need somebody to cut LH threads on one side. Did this about 40 years ago , just get a truck tie rod sleeve , cut into & thread ! :dunno :dunno

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
another thing

Another thing you have to do when you have a wheel well full of tire is disconnect the panhard bar when you jack up the rear. that way the rear suspension drops straight down and is not pulled to the drivers side. I know it's a pain in the butt, but I do it this way every time.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the info, Guys! The wheels at Summit are just what I'm looking for. If I don't find anything interesting at the swapmeet this sunday I'll get a pair of those.

I never thought to make the panhard bar adjustable. Right now, it's hard to remove my stock, super-skinny bias ply tire from the drivers side. Anything larger would be nearly impossible. Will definitely look for an adjustable bar.

Thanks again!!
Ross

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On my WHeel Vintiques Series 62 steel wheels, there are the 3 nubs to hold the poverty caps on. They look great!

img06322zh3.jpg

starsailing1

Supporting Member 1
Pie crust Cheater slicks new

Check out this website for Nostalgic look cheater slicks. Many sizes and wide whites. I too have an old set of 14" recap cheaters and the side casing is pretty stiff. Maybe if I use 8:00 x 14 tubes I will be safe for show cruising. Anyone have some new tubes?
http://hurstracingtires.com/

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The slicks I have were mounted on some early 50s chevy wheels. The type with the little spring steel clips for the hub caps. The tires did have tubes. I still have the tubes and they appear to be in good shape. The schrader valves are gone so I don't know if they hold air or not.
Question is: do I need tubes with these tires?
Those Hurst tires are pretty nice. Most of what they offer is radial construction but they do have some bias recaps, too.
Ross

starsailing1

Supporting Member 1
Ross I ran the old recap cheater slicks on my 61 Chev two summers in a row in 67-68. Ran tubes in them. The ones I have now have a couple of flaws on the bead on one tire. I dont plan on doing burn outs with them, just playing safe with tubes. My Older brother ran them on the street 2 years no problem . 65 ply 426 wedge. If you plan on flogging them , you might want to screw the tires to the rim with short sheet metal screws so tires don't spin while on rims while doing burnouts. Screws go on rim where you put the balance weights. Make sure screws do not go through tire to rip tubes.
They WERE kinda dangerous in the rain especially going around curves, or in the snow. I remember I didn't mind pulling over until rain stopped when the girlfriend was in the car. I just can't remember why I didn't mind!!! It was 40 years ago.!