Chevy Rumble Feb04

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
EMAIL

I changed ISP last Thursady and they assured me that I would still get email at the old address. Evidently not!!

Try..... philreed@kcnet I may not be back in the shop until Thursday but send a note anyway.

Phil

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Phone!!

Phone number is fine...816-587-1109

Don't call until Thursday. I'll be out of the shop until Thursday AM.

Thanks guys!!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Last months is still on the stands here !!
crying.gif

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Last months is all I've got at my newstand too. I guess it'll show up eventually.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Jim and DQ,
I've finally found the new issue of Chevy Rumble at the book store today. The article on the big cars is pretty good although several things "jump out" as incorrect. Couple of examples are;
page 25, the article about the 61's states that "being on the scene in 1961, we beleive a Super Sport package could have been had on any Impala with any engine". Come on now
Page 17 states that fewer than 600 L72 cars were built in 1966 then on page 30 they say that 1856 were built (this is correct).
The 66 L-72 Impala that is pictured on page 17 is identified as a 68 belonging to a Bob Sweeting. Actually, this car belonged to me at the time Doug had it phographed. These photoes were taken at the Super Chevy Show in Virginia in the mid ninities. It was featured in Chevy Rumble's second issue and many other magazines. The car presently is owned by a gentleman by the name of Joe Fether in Michigan.
Doug Marion does a great job with the magazine and few little "opps" every now and then is to be expected.

Tommy:)

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is a good reason why it was believed that the SS package was available with any engine in '61--a lot of them were being 'built' by the dealers and the dealers weren't saying any different!!! Once on the road the owner often didn't even know it didn't come from the factory that way.

SteveD

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Steve,
You are exacty correct. Imagine, if you went to your local Chevrolet dealer in 1961, wanted a 61 SS, dealer can't get one but he could make one that would probably make you happy and get him a sale by adding the emblems etc. By the time this guy trades it in on his next car and someone else buys it, it's now become a real SS cause the second owner doesn't know any better. This is how 456 SS's turned into hundreds of 61 SS's today. But, we know better today and magizines of this quality would do all of us a favor by printing facts not beliefs. Just my thoughts

:)

M

MK IISS

61 SS

In my opinion Chevrolet added to the confusion by referring to the '61 SS option as "a kit" in their first press release and later magazine ads. Automotive journalists upon reading the word "kit" added 2 and 2 and got 6. These "journalists" then went on to write articles about the '61 SS claiming it was a dealer installed kit and often even described all the minimum mandatory options required including the 348/305 engine and heavy duty suspension and brake parts. I laugh when I read one of these articles and think about how big a box the "kit" would have come in.

Richard

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I'll take two boxes, please!

Richard:

Wouldn't you love to have one of those "boxes" laying around? Rather, the original '61SS. We've had some great discussions and identifications of the 1961 SSs, and here's but another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0&category=6169&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1

Wonder if it's real?

Verne tells us of a fellow who makes these so faithful that even he has trouble telling the difference. I guess you have to document the history of one of these to be really sure. Clone or not, I think one would look nice in my garage :)

Cheers,
TomK

M

MK IISS

Tom:

Nice car. It has to be the MOST rare of the '61 SS cars. Especially with the 280 horse engine (instead of the min. required 305 horse) and it also has a FIVE spd. trans!! Too bad he also didn't know enough to paint the wheels black. Good looking Pontiacs in the background.

Richard

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,

WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!
I've been watching the car that Tom provided the link for. You called it right, nice car, just not a SS.
Can't help but wonder what a real documented car is worth. I've never seen one for sale, in fact I've never seen another documented car period. Verne says he has documented 6 or 7 and these don't have the original engines. Danny Howell says there are 3 known to exist that are documented and original. I'm sure there are more, I really wish there was a way to create a registry of 1961 Super Sports that could documented by actual paper work, not cars that someone thinks are real or have the "right stuff" on them. I don't mean to upset anyone with this but these cars are the some of the rarest of the rare, they are also some of the easiest to clone because of the way Chevrolet choise to market them. Now days, almost every time you see a nice 61, it's got SS emblems on and the owner claims it's real. And in their defense, a lot of people may have purchased their car thinking it was real.

M

MK IISS

61 SS

I have wanted a '61 SS since I first saw one in '61 on new car transporter at my Uncle's garage. If there is only about six or seven documented REAL SSs then I know they would be out of my price range. I am just not interested in a cloned car. However I do not "look down my nose" at the cloned cars or the people that have them. For me, I want the real thing. To my way of thinking a cloned '61 Impala SS is like a beautiful women with huge breast implants. They may look great but just not the same. I am sorry if anyone is offended by this remark, I can't help it. I have a very sick mind.

Richard

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
61 SS

Originally posted by MK IISS
To my way of thinking a cloned '61 Impala SS is like a beautiful women with huge breast implants. They may look great but just not the same. I have a very sick mind.

Richard

WOW !!! Couldn`t have said it better !!
Gotta say though,,,,,,,,

I don`t mind the fake ones ONE BIT !!!
smileybreasts.gif

sgrin.gif