Choice to make -- which vehicle?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
The last few years I've been either to Thompson or to Norwalk in my 1962 SS Impala with the transplanted 409 stroker backed by a four speed. This time around I might make a change in that, just not sure if I'm road worthy or not at this point.

I know with the basic preparations the SS car will make the trip out and back.

But I've been working on the '62 Belair post car over the past few weeks and have thoughts of driving her out, even though she is in primer/sealer :). Kind of a "work in progress" deal.

One problem I am having is that she came to me as an all Ermine White car, but the Trim tags say "two tone Ermine White top over Twilight Blue body", and after seeing Ross' brothers exact same version of this at Thompson last year, I decided to repaint mine to duplicate the original colors. That is until I got her in primer/sealer. I used a product called "Transtar 6161" which is a high build primer and a good sealer as well. I first put on a thick coat of that last Fall, followed by the rigors of long boarding the entire body. Then I put an even thicker coat of Evercoat's sprayable polyester filler, which sanded down very easy. I gave up over the Winter after sealing her one more time with the Transtar.

This Spring 2010 I hauled her out of the garage and scuffed her up and shot parts of that with the polyester again. I had maybe 8-10 sections that needed more block sanding, mostly the lower quarters and the trunk lid. Last week I shot her again in the primer/sealer and with it's Satin Black look it's starting to grow on me. I am thinking of going with a final coat using all Black, with some flattener in it to take it from Gloss to a Satin finish. It just looks so menacing in Satin Black, don't you think?

I won't have the time to both get it ready functionally and cosmetically, so I might have to bring her out in primer and focus on the mechanics and related preparations. Here are some pics, enjoy!

TomK

Attachments

• April 11 2010 1962 BA 409 preparations 009.jpg
    April 11 2010 1962 BA 409 preparations 009.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 67
  • April 11 2010 1962 BA 409 preparations 010.jpg
    April 11 2010 1962 BA 409 preparations 010.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 87
  • April 24 2010 62 BA 409 in primer again 004.jpg
    April 24 2010 62 BA 409 in primer again 004.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 75
  • April 24 2010 62 BA 409 in primer again 006.jpg
    April 24 2010 62 BA 409 in primer again 006.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 119

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Looking good Tom. You have a hard choice to make about final color. Sure does look good in satin black! And BAD!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I like it !

Tom,

Don't know which vehicle you want to bring to Thompson, but I also like the low gloss black !!! Looks kind of wicked and threatening !!! The combo of the wheels and the paint really make it, especially in the sedan model ! :clap:clap

Bill

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom,
In my opinion go with the primer finish. I was thinking of going that route with the Pontiac but just not that far along yet. The Mack truck took too much time along with a move to a new shop.
I'd love to see the new car even in primer. Everyone knows how tough these builds are and will see the potential in the car.
Besides, a primed car looks good at a race track.:beerbang

paint helper 2

eeevil....

Tom ..it looks good in black...kind of that DARTH VADER...Dark Side of the Force feeling...great job...SKIP...:clap...:beerbang

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Tom

Satin black........classic hot rod finish.

....the 62 BA doesn't need much makeup to make an impression.:deal

.....let 'er travel....

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
You showed me this car when I came to pickup your forged pistons for my 409 truck engine going into my 55 T-Bird.

The change from when I saw the car a short time ago and now is stricking/dramatic/spectacular.

WOW - I like it!!!

Clyde

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom, They are both way cool. Just do like Fred and Dean used to do. Use one to pull the other. Bob