Christmas Tree History

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I last raced on a 5 amber tree at Riverside in about 1986. Pomona got their 3 amber around then for the WInternationals.Those lights came down on a 1/2 second interval. They actually figured that the full second they saved per run added up at the end of the day to more time than you would imagine. The first few lights on the 3 amber were pretty green,however.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Of all the 1/8 Miles races I ran, I never once had the opportunity to experience a Christmas Tree. But of all the races I have watched, in my opinion, once it went from Pre-Staged to Staged it didn't give enough time to bring the revs up, to where I would had liked them to be anyway. In my '56, I would start out with a pretty high rev. One that I wanted to zone in and be comfortable with.

We always had starters that gave us that time.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Before the tree in 63. we had a flag starter. He had 2 flags, one green or checkered started the race. If one car left too early, he'd wave a red flag. We weren't DQ'd. We both just backed up and started over. 2 red flags and you were out. On the finish end were 3 people. One with a flag held straight up. Then he would drop his flag 90 degrees right or left depending which lane crossed the finish line first. The other 2 were timers for each lane. They each had a wind up stop watch. They started the stop watch when they could see the starter's flag go up.:)