Chrome plating references

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
OK! While I'm doing my efforts over these winter months, I'm ready to do my chrome stuff.
I really gotta say this portion of my restoration scares me :eek: to no end knowing how rare and delicate some on these pieces are.

My practice will be to send all my needed stuff along with a manifest to ensure my pieces are logged on receipt for processing.

None the less, I'm looking for community references for any quality value based platers preferably in New England area to spare myself needless: :bang :cuss.

Thanks to all and happy holidays.
Paul

vin 58

Supporting Member 1
First how pitted are your pot metal parts? If they aren't bad then New England Chrome in E. hartford is good. The important thing to use ONE facility because chrome can look different from vendor to vendor.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I've found Paul's in Pa. to be very good, quick turn around and really quality work......notice I didn't say cheap, but when I've sent stuff to them, they call to acknowledge that they have received the part and they give you an estimated price.

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Vin - Thanks for the reply. Have you direct experience with them?

Overall, no major pitting to be concerned with, so the East Hartford folks may work out well.
My needs are mostly small detail items. (Lot's of them on a '58 though)
Big stuff (Bumpers and front mustashe)held up well in storage.

I'll of course need to decide whether I choose to go "repro" on some items. Door handles and such.

I think my approach will be to bring everything required, get it quoted and decide which to do from there.

I'll be gathering my inventory between the holidays.
(BTW- Santa invested in the Auto Restoration PM software for me so I'm pumped!)
I really appreciate the idea of having someone local to work with. :D
A big relief there. ;)

I'm still open to other experiences though.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pot metal that appears perfect, no pits etc will still have pits after stripping, some more so than others. The only way to get back perfect pot metal plating is for the plater to use multiple copper and buff between coats, very expensive.
I would purchase re=popped pot metal pieces instead of replating, as long as the re=pops are of good quality and fit. Unfortunatelly many pot metal pieces are not available aftermarket.
I would definitely call Auto City Classic (800) 828-1122 FIRST, fiind out what they have available, then re-plate what you can't obtain new.