Picture 164.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 91

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Great photos!

Jim:

Those are some great shots!

Is that really your '57 with the wheel(s) off the ground?

Hope everyone returns safely and that we get some scoops on who had toooo much fun. Wish I could have been there!

Best,
TomK

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Fred won the 60' contest, I red lighted by .0009 sec. Fred made a good light but broke his 12 bolt in second gear I think. Fred, being the true drag racer he is limped that car the remaning 1300 ' on a broken ring and pinnion to take the win,,,,,,and my cash. Three winners were, Ronnie Russell, with Barry as wheel man, Fred Totten 2nd and Fatride runner up.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
fatride said:
Fred won the 60' contest, I red lighted by .0009 sec. Fred made a good light but broke his 12 bolt in second gear I think. Fred, being the true drag racer he is limped that car the remaning 1300 ' on a broken ring and pinnion to take the win,,,,,,and my cash. Three winners were, Ronnie Russell, with Barry as wheel man, Fred Totten 2nd and Fatride runner up.

:clap :cheers :roll :roll :clap :cheers

Holely molely !!! Wish I could have been there to see all the fun happening !!!

fatride, how did the Sweet Sixty run ? :dunno
Did you get Dond "The Tuner" To help?
Any of the other guys help? I see you removed the lettering.

Fred,,, so those 12 bolts are stronger then a stock rear ??:roll
Must have been that mighty launch to win the 60` shootout that did it in!!!:clap

Jim, What times did the Phamtom run? Any problems??
Doesn`t look like it from your launch photo,,,,

OK,, one more question,,,
How many "W" block cars showed up???

You lucky guys!!!! ,,,dq

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I guess i should have waited to read all the Clay City posts SPREAD through out the forum before asking too many questions??:takethat

but a few question remain, so fire away !!,,dq

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Yeah, we've kinda got things spread out a bit.:scratch

These guys are hard on parts!:deal Freds car launches like a rocket! At least it did untill the ring gear let go.:grumble: Oh well I guess we know where he'll be spending his two hundred dollar prize money.:D

ReigonRat also managed to break an axle in the Dana 60 that's in his 64. He's been running that same rear end since the early seventies so I guess it had taken a lot of abuse over the years. This is another car that really launches hard. It's really something to see watching these big monsters take off like that. And of course there's nothing like the sound of a 4 speed 409 blasting down the track!:beerbang

Bomar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Checking I n

Just wanted to check in and see if everyone made it home safley from Clay City.
I really had a good time. It was a real pleasure to meet everyone. Denny, Deb Pualette and I all got back home around 9pm. We went to Freds in Cinnci. dropped Dennys rig there and brought Freds car and trailer home with us to fix the rear and work on his trailer. Even though I just pit for Denny and don't have a W car yet , the opperative word is Yet ,I felt like part of the group. Thanks Bo

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for a fun weekend.

Bo, you do not have to have a W car to be an idiot-------nut-----crazy-----not all there-------, Well, you name it. sandwich short of a picnic????

I do want to say a big thank you to all who attended. I think we all had a good time. Made friends for life. That's the most important thing a person can have. The track owners loved having us. I tried to introduce Jared to all I could find. He was busy, so didn't have a lot of time to spend with us. But, he was pleased with our turnout. I guess the first people he ran into were the Texans. He was IMPRESSED that they came that far. I am, too. Not to minimize anyone, but it was a real pleasure to meet Ronnie Russell and Barry Taylor. Ronnie has added so much to the forum. I was really looking forward to meeting him. I was not disappointed. A really nice guy. There were a lot more, too. Meeting up with a lot of the Norwalk group was fun. Bob Walker Jr., you ARE family. And, you have a really neat kid. You might be getting him in trouble hanging around with all these nuts.

Just to see what can transpire from these meets, I met Ray Barnhart at KC. He was the first to greet me when we got in. Seems like we have been friends forever. He and Marcia are GREAT people. GOOD Friends.

And Denny Ford and Deb. Last but not the least. I can't thank Denny enough for the help he has given me. And Bo Martin and Paulette. Denny has helped me with anything I have asked. Sometimes I'm sure he has had other things to do, but he has taken the time to answer some dumb questions. Deb is another story, though. She watches me like a hawk. Can't do anything I'm not supposed to do without her stopping me! Really good gal. And, Bo is more help than you can imagine. He jumps right in on anything that needs done. A good right hand man. If he gets a car, lookout. Would be nice to see him running with us, but then Denny loses a good helper!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On second thought, that might just slow him down a little. But, not enough for me to catch up!!!!!!!!!!!

When I broke the rear end, I was lost. Never was in a spot like that. Looked up and here came a whole bunch of help. Denny, Bob Walla, Don DeWeaver, Bo Martin, and maybe more. They pushed me out of the way, and went to work. Denny and someone else took the rear end cover off to get the junk out so we could tow the car back to the pits. Then, they all pushed the car into the trailer. I could not have done this myself. They did it all. THANKS

What it all boils down to, is that this is one fine bunch of people. All friends for life. Thanks to all for a fine, fun weekend. Wish we could do it every weekend, but don't know if I could hold up for it. Too much fun.

I have some pretty good pictures. Have to resize them to post. I'll work on that and post some tomorrow.

Once again. Thanks to all.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Good friends

Yes, thank's to all that attended and made the Clay City event a success. Marcia and I had a wonderful time. A special thanks to our good friends Jim and Sue K. Jim worked behind the scenes in a steaming hot trailer so you all could view pictures of the event here. Sue has to put up with Jim so she get's a big hug too. They are good people. Our dear friends. Pop and Clair (Waddict) Happy birthday Pop, Had us laughing to tears at breakfast and at the track also. Two of the finest, warmest people Marcia and I have known. Don DeWeaver, what a pal. Don took time to ice my fuel line and spotted me at the line all day, how did he find time to do that when he seemed to be helping everyone all day? Bob Walker and his son Jimmy were a welcome sight for all of us. Bob is always ready to pitch in with anything needed. Jimmy, Bobs son, is a great young man and is one of us now. I would miss him if he could not be there. Hey Jim :cool: . Our pals from the great white North opened their motor home to the group on a cold and raining Friday, thanks guys! And Fred Totten, what can I say, Fred is my best friend and biggest rival. Best to you Fred :cheers. Bob Walla, a true rodder with a big heart, no Bob, gin will not kill you (just your liver). Ronnie Russell, can't escape us now, good late nigh bull crapper too ;). Shane, I'm on you like a tattoo, try the extensions! Don E, (Freds pal) behind the scene making most of Freds decisions and keeping him on time, Hey Don :cheers. Too many more to list but you are all in my thoughts. Good health to all :hug

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I hope everone in the forum picks up on how cool this little outing at a hole-in -the -wall track ended up being. Any one there would give you the shirt off there back( or even cover-alls out of their trunk). Some of the guys we already knew but the feelows we met for the first time are like family. I hope I can do this long enough to help little Jimmy down the track when he's there with his own little boy. We had so much BS flying, The track owner was thinking of having us fertilize the lower 40 so he could plant crops! Remember next time , you don't need a car thats fast or pretty. Just show up and we'll do the rest. Thanks to every one Region Rat Bob

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think Clay City was a good location. Who knows, maybe we could make it a yearly event,,, Maybe Clay City could be the same for W engines as Sturgis is for Harleys.:beerbang
Here's a few more photos...
-Fatrides car with the magnetic lettering
-A 55 Chevy with a 409
-The 55's engine
-Rat Rod

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 54
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 60

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Speaking of Dond,,, Where was his wagon ?????:dunno

Whatz up??? ,dq

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
Special thanks to:

Fred, for doing the leg work and making it happen.

Jim K., Bob Walker & Jimmy, taking and posting
all the neat photos.

It was great fun to meet, socialize and race with all the fine people this past
weekend.

Gerry

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This Forum

Yeah, Jim K and Bob Walker Jr. took some great photos. Jim K supplied all the name tags, also. I guess he worked his hind end off doing pictures. I know he gave me a beautiful shot of my car just off the launch pad. I mean studio quality.

So many people did so much to make it a fun weekend. Any time you start mentioning names, you are going to leave someone out. That is not intended. Everyone made it a good weekend of racing and BSing.

To all :clap :clap :clap :clap :cheers :cheers :cheers

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob Walker. Is Jimmy hooked on nitro fumes yet? Maybe we can build him a 62/ Funny Car. Bob

RPO587

Supporting Member 1
What a great time!
I don't think I've ever had a better time at a track and I know I've never met a better group of people.:clap I won't try to thank individuals because I'll leave someone out, but it was great to meet old friends and make new ones.:cheers
Maybe I can be more of a participant next year with a 409 "mystery machine".
Can't wait!
Mark