Cloyes timing set

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
How does the timing chain/ gear get it's lubrication.I'll be running a gear drive and was wondering if oiling needs should get special consideration.the install directions dont call for anything special.

63 Biscayne

Well Known Member
Should I attempt this with my die grinder or take it back to the machine shop so I don't getit out of balance? Thank's for the imput.:cheers

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My engine guy told me years ago, if you don't use the oil slinger on the end of the crank on the 348, drill a very small hole in one of the lifter galley plugs. Later blocks and the 409s had a hole in the wall of the lifter galley to the timing chain area where oil drained and then it's not needed and the slinger was eliminated.

63 Biscayne

Well Known Member

I hope the pics are clear enough. As you can see the oil grooves are hidden by the wear plate , should I take the gear to the machine shop or finish the oïl grooves myself? Thank's for your imput.:cheers

63 Biscayne

Well Known Member
I don't think you should do anything to it.
Were the grooves

I was having the same thought. The cam bearing will spill oil into the remaining grooves and be retained there to some degree to provide lubrication.
Makes lots of sense, I'll leave it like that and drill a small hole in the lifter galley plug or plugs for extra lubrication. Thank's a lot guys!:cheers

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
We have had the discussion recently about drilling the lifter galley plugs. My Chevy dealer did the service bulletin my 454 Corvette back in the 70's. They drilled the plugs to allow trapped air to escape the lifter galley to prevent noisy lifters after a frisky drive :D. My feeling is that the front cam bearing should supply supply enough oil to keep everything wet up there. Leo

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Oil slinger on the lower gear from the factory. If you take that off on the early blocks ( or don't have one), you need to help it out a little. Drill the small hole and be done with it.