Clutch? bang for the buck

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
Hey guys. I'm looking for some guidance in picking a new clutch and pressure plate get up for the Biscayne. I would like to stay around the 500 to 700 dollar range. It's got a real healthy small block a m-22 and a nine inch.

mac1

Well Known Member
I have a Valeo, (spelling?) clutch kit that I bought from Summit Racing. Comes with the disc, pressure plate, both bearings and the alignment tool. I think it was around $150. I wanted the easiest clutch I could find as my knees aren't what they used to be and I have no intension's of racing. I can easily push down the clutch pedal with my hand. Mac

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Centerforce here

After burning up the first clutch in exactly one day, I went with the Centerforce dual friction unit, I think I bought it through JEGs. Can't recall the cost, but it's held up about 4000 miles to far. Only a little abuse now and then :) :) :).

BTW, I did not follow the break in protocol for the first clutch, I think they recommend 500 miles before attempting to put a sudden load on the newly installed unit. I waited about five feet, then dumped the clutch. Hey, I had to see if the engine was OK :). I was nicer to the Centerforce unit...

Good luck!

TomK

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
break-in on a clutch? horsepoop. use an 11 inch bent diaphram with a short bearing. tell the autoparts store it goes in a 65-72 1/2 ton pickup.
install it, set the pedal to begin grabbing about 1-1/2 inches off the floor. make like your gonna take off in 3rd gear for just a moment. then it should be ready for 20+ years of abuse.
the clutch in my 09 car is as described and has been in for 31 years.