Coating of Headers

58delray

I found a new set of hooker headers for my 409. I have seen powder coated, Por-15 coated and ceramic coated. I have used the Por material in the past and it seems to hold up real well. Anyone used any of the other methods?
Thanks

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
(most expensive)
Ceramic works the best and lasts the longest with the best protection to your headers and dissipates the heat best.
(next expensive)
Powder coating looks and lasts a long time,, but can chip.
(Cost exfective)
Por-20 is the least expensive and works great. Easy to do yourself and can be touched up any time. Much better and more durable then paint.
These are my twenty year old headers done with POR-20,,,dq

Attachments

• resize of im000111.jpg
    resize of im000111.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 205

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Part two.

Attachments

• resize of im000112.jpg
    resize of im000112.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 194

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Headers

Hey, DQ, what brand header are you using? I've been looking for a set of 4 tube that doesn't wrap over the frame ala Hookers. Don't like the idea of cutting a very good and expensive inner fender well.

Thanks

Fred

bobs409

Administrator
I've heard the ceramic coating isn't perfect. Heard stories of rust with them too.

If you want cheap, do what I did. Give the headers a quick sand blast to take to bare metal, then coat with Eastwoods stainless steel manifold coating. This stuff lasted for a few years on mine and only now am I seeing a bit of rust here and there. The nice thing is all you have to do is hit the rusty areas with sandpaper and touch up with the coating. It blends in nicely.

I've even had a leaky brake master cylinder drip on this stuff for a few weeks with no ill effects!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sounds like that Eastwood stuff is like the POR coating.
You can take a knife to my headers and it won`t scratch it. Plus,,,you apply it with a brush !! Easy touch up. And yes,,,it looks like it`s sprayed on!
It also is cured by heat...dq

SS,,,These are old and I`m not sure who made them but I believe it is the Wilson headers that are the same,,,,OZ ?,,,dq

Header Coating

That's them, DQ. They're history now though. Supposed to be 2" versions available very soon.

I'm really torn by this coating issue. The COST !... man, it's as much as buying the new headers. At that price, it better not rust ! If these fancy headers that I'm building turn out real nice, I'll probably get them "Jet Hot" coated.

bobs409

Administrator
The Eastwood can scratch off but is easy to touch up. Works pretty good for a $15.00 investment. The POR is most likely better but I never tried it.

Originally posted by dq409
Sounds like that Eastwood stuff is like the POR coating.
You can take a knife to my headers and it won`t scratch it. Plus,,,you apply it with a brush !! Easy touch up. And yes,,,it looks like it`s sprayed on!
It also is cured by heat...dq

SS,,,These are old and I`m not sure who made them but I believe it is the Wilson headers that are the same,,,,OZ ?,,,dq

I

IgnitionMan

Bob says it right, ceramic coatings are porous, allow moisture to permeate, rust from below the coating, ending up with nice coating, swiss cheeze'd metal underneath.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
coatings

Ignition Man, the ceramic is inside and out, isn't it? Whereas paint is on outside only? Not arguing your point, but it would seem on paper to be better. I know paper isn't always right. Also, I have a set of coated headers that a friend in California made for me, and had coated in I think Ontario, CA. I have noticed staining, which would lend itself to appear to be rust, or corrosion. More question than anything else.

Fred

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The POR-20 Is in the $20 range for a pint . I have painted my headers twice and still have over half left !! I have taken asharp knife and TRIED like heck to scratch them but can`t !! I think it`s like an aluminizing treatment. Gets my vote !!

58delray

I have used the manifold gray and the firewall Por product with great results...I think i'll go with the Por-20. Thanks for the thoughts guys