Considering EFI? Holley Sniper so far is problem free.

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I installed a MSD Atomic unit about 4 years ago, drove it many miles, probably 10K or so. Always had problems with it, never could get it sorted out. Talked to the tech hot line guys many times and if I could have reached through the phone and grabbed a couple of them I would have. Anyway, it came down to the fact it was now dangerous to drive. Stalling on de-celleration, so loss of steering and brakes, just when you needed both. Some guys swear they have no problems with it, coming from MSD's web site comments, so take it for what that's worth.
So I pulled the trigger on the Sniper, another $1K out the door. But really good carbs. are at this price range or close also. After the install with a mag pulse distributor and timing controlled via the Sniper I went for a test drive. Wow! What a difference. This thing gets up and goes!
It comes with software that allows tuning with basically unlimited possibilities, requires laptop, or you can just use the basic self tuning via the handheld. Your choice. I have experience tuning with highly modified tuned port injection systems and the software for the Sniper is top notch. The learning curve could be steep for those with no experience, but well worth the time to figure it out.
So if you are thinking about it, my vote is for the Holley Sniper.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
When I last talked to Carl McQuillien,he spoke of a Mopar engine they had just done.He said that Holley has improved the processors to the point that this camre fully in in about one hour.Many of them require about 3-400 miles to do that.

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The one area I would recommend using a laptop is the timing. If you use a mag pulse distributor and allow the Sniper to do the timing curve you really need to dial it in with the free software. The self learning program is just not good enough to get it right. But if you use a mechanical/vacuum distributor then this feature is not needed.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I would prefer the computer to control timing myself.Can you adjust via handheld with these units at all,or is it lap top only?

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would prefer the computer to control timing myself.Can you adjust via handheld with these units at all,or is it lap top only?
So with the handheld you can input idle, cruise, and max timing figures. Then it calculates everything in between. I drove the car about 50 miles and down loaded the timing table the computer figured out to my laptop. Using the tuning software I looked at the curve on the programable graph, poor at best. But I am an ignition timing perfectionist, so others may deem it satisfactory.
If you are familiar with a tuning plot graph were you have MAP and RPM depicted on an X - Y axis you see several 100 boxes where you can input timing figures. The computer program fills these boxes with many values that are the same, so if you view the plot in 3D graph form you get these steep cliffs or drop-offs of timing changes. Not good in my way of thinking. Plus I like a 'vacuum advance' type high timing setting at cruise RPM with high vacuum/low MAP readings. Good for fuel mileage on long trips.
The only thing I feel is lacking is the RPM figures do not have a smaller amount between two boxes. They are 250 rpm apart, I would prefer 100 rpm but as I said before, I am a ignition timing snob so to speak. Minor issue that is of really no big consequence. The 3D graph also helps you to see large peaks and valleys of your curve pretty easily.
Also you can data log as you are driving, then down load to your laptop and overlay the timing log on the X - Y axis screen to see exactly where the engine is running, this is a great feature and saves a lot of guessing. I am still very new to this software and learning something new every time I use it. I believe this is the same software you get when you buy their high end control system for say an LS engine, if you did not want to use use the factory stuff. You may not get all the bells and whistles with the free download, but it will be along time before I master what comes with the free version. Two thumbs up so far!

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Every time I bought something from MSD I said to myself,

Made
Stupid
Decision
I find their ignition boxes to be trouble free, but they are based on an old design, so long as they don't cheap out on the electronics part of them should be good. A lot of high end race cars use them so I call that well tested. I have not used the newer 6AL digital type, still beating on the 6A box. As far as the rest of their products, I agree, crap! I have wasted too much money on it. But now I see Holley owns them, good? Maybe.