control arms

dynoray

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
hey,does anybody know if any place makes tubular front control arms for our cars 58-64 chevys?? thanks,Ray.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Fat Man Fabrication has tubular front control arms if that's what you're wanting. I have no idea on the quality of the pieces, however.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have been looking at tubular front control arms from both Performance Online and from CPP. Both are listed on Ebay right now. The POL ones are a little cheaper....and the CPP ones come with billet? control arm shafts. Both companies supply them with ball joints and bushings, and are designed to allow extra caster. Looks like anywhere from $700 to $810 shipped. Doesn't seem like to bad of a price to me. I've been meaning to post a thread asking if anyone recommends one over the other... maybe someone can inform us.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i got uppers from a place i cant pronounce. McGaughy's? they add 5 degrees of caster, but be prepared to space the crosshaft inward about 5/8 or so to get the camber right. other wise, they drive very nicely. also on my racecar, i mounted the crosshafts backwards (the long end to the rear) i had to cut and weld, but it was worth a total of 10 degrees caster. i've only been 133 so far, but it drives like a continental at speed.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd only buy a brake kit from our own 58Delivery here on the site, excellent quality and he knows his brakes plus it supports one of our own.
I wonder if he has any resources on the these?

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I bought a brake kit from this guy couple years ago, thinking about buying this control arm kit too :?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

WOW I don't know how I haven't seen these listed before.....I had been planning on getting some from probably POL 'cause they seemed like decent quality and had the best price, but those are less than the lowers alone from anyone else. I agree with Mike (Tic's60) though....if 58Delivery offers them I'd rather give one of our own a shot at my business.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Global West are probably the most expensive (1600.00 upper and lowers), yet massive! I have the uppers on my car and had to take the lowers off when I added the air ride...:doh
CPP just came out with some that are very similar in size and build quality for half the price. I would have bought these if they were available when I got the Global West arms.

There are some less expensive ones on ebay, but they they don't come with the billet cross shafts and use much smaller tubing.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I guess the really beefy ones would be the best for corner carving and overall strength, but I was considering tubular arms primarily for some weight loss and the extra caster. Plus they just look cool. LOL

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I guess the really beefy ones would be the best for corner carving and overall strength, but I was considering tubular arms primarily for some weight loss and the extra caster. Plus they just look cool. LOL

How about coming back down to earth after that 1.30 sixty ft. launch :?

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
How about coming back down to earth after that 1.30 sixty ft. launch :?

You let me run a 1.30 second 60' and then I'll worry about if the control arms were beefy enough. LOL I'd be happy with some 1.50 sixty foots. Wait......no........happy doesn't even begin to express it.......I'd be on cloud 409!!!!