Convertible vs Hard Top glass

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a 64 convertible with manual crank windows. I found a set of 64 hard top power windows complete with switches. Will the windows fit a convertible? I'm thinking the rear quarter windows might be different.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't know about 64's but I put a set of power windows from a 65 hardtop into my 65 convertible and low and behold the rear regulators are different but motors are the same and I thought wtf am I going to do now as I already installed the doors regulators then I remembered a 65 ragtop in a wrecking yard that had power windows in it but that was 30+ years since I had seen the car so I called them and it was still there and they said it has all but sunk in the mud and to bring a chain saw so I did and about the only thing left of the car was the rear regulators but shocker motors where junk so now all is good.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Quarter glass on a 65 convertible is different from hardtop and believe door glass is also I just put power windows in it left all the glass and I would assume 64 is in the same boat

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
61 to 64 Chevy Impala convertible rear 1/4 glass and controls are the same for manual or power windows.
62 -64 Impala 2 door hardtop rear 1/4 windows are the same ( they are larger than convertible glass frames and window glass)
62 -64 impala 2 door hardtop rear 1/4 glass power window controls ( and manual controls) will not fit or work on 61-64 convertibles.
61 to 64 Impala 2 door hardtop and 61 to 64 Impala convertible door glass controls are “all the same for manual and power windows”

you need 3 power window wiring harnesses, rubber power window boots for the doors and door jambs plus a 4 gang drivers door control and 3 single switch controls for pass door and both rear 1/4 glass.
You also need a circuit breaker (mounted on the kick panel) and wiring to firewall and to the starter to supply power to the run the power windows.
There are oval knockouts in the door jambs and doors to run wire from the doors to the drivers kick panel circuit breaker.
On all convertibles 61 to 64 the rear 1/4 glass power window switches mount on the rear arm rests next to the rear ash trays (61 & 62-64 impala 2 door hardtop rear 1/4 power window switches mount to the side panel at the same location as the the manual window cranks.
Paul