cooling problem

Impala Lover

Supporting Member 1
Hello everyone!! I have a cooling problem with my 1963 Impala with a 327 cid. It runs warm, about 225 degress on the open highway. There isn't any coolant leaks, I put in a new thermostat and radiator cap. The cap is rated for 15 psi and the thermostat is a rated for 160 degrees. The radiator appears to be in good shape. I don't have access to a cooling system pressure tester, but when you are up to operating temp, there isn't any pressure built up. I can have it warm after driving it and take off the cap, no pressure escapes but I can see the coolant moving. Could it be I just got a dud radiator cap? Is that possible? Oh, by the way, the water pump is new and there isn't any water in the oil. The temp doesn't go up when I just leave it idle either. One more thing, the upper radiator hose doesn't get hard, so there isn't any pressure at all. I hope all of this jibberish makes sense and any help is appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Put your hand on the passenger side floor and see if it is wet.
Check the timing

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Heat?

Check the heat riser valve located in the passenger side exhaust manifold. If it is rusted in the closed position it may cause the overheating problem you have.

60convert

Well Known Member
well

somewhere it is bleeding of the pressure. if the system is staying full and over filling the over fill then its the cap if the overflow doesn't change then you have a leak somewhere else in the system. the cheapest would be to toss on a different cap and go from there.
Jesse