Correct bottom door panel screws for 63?

bobs409

Administrator
I'm not sure which of these are correct for the bottom of the door panel? The ones circled in blue or red?

Anyone know which is correct? I seem to recall the ones on red (but with threads that run the whole screw) but not sure. :scratch

SK1170.JPG

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, I think the ones in red would be correct for the bottom of the door panels with full threads as you mention and, the ones in blue are correct for the front of the filler panel/armrests back seat at the door jamb.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just something to think about,leave those screws out and look at the panel you might like it better that way.Ask me how i know, the screws are not a have to have in new door panels.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Red ,but thread's all the way to head .The washer's are attached to screw to keep material from twisting as you tighten against door panel.You can buy reproduction screw's for the lower panel.The next challenge is to punch hole's in door panel to line up exactly to the hole in inner door panel. Careful measuring vertically and horizontal. I missed one that is not letting screw lay flat ,i will drill a new hole using location of hole in door panel ,only off a 1/8 inch on horizontal plane.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Red ,but thread's all the way to head .The washer's are attached to screw to keep material from twisting as you tighten against door panel.You can buy reproduction screw's for the lower panel.The next challenge is to punch hole's in door panel to line up exactly to the hole in inner door panel. Careful measuring vertically and horizontal. I missed one that is not letting screw lay flat ,i will drill a new hole using location of hole in door panel ,only off a 1/8 inch.
Mark the hole in the door with a marker or two pieces of masking tape on either side of the hole then use a awl to punch through the panel and into the hole in the door. Of course the door panel has to be installed.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Mark the hole in the door with a marker or two pieces of masking tape on either side of the hole then use a awl to punch through the panel and into the hole in the door. Of course the door panel has to be installed.
Yes extend the tape down on both side's of hole straight down to below where door panel stop's{lower curve of door} and i used a sliding carpenter's square and lay against bottom of door and slide end of ruler to hole .Then when panel is on lay square on as before to door and that will be the height location of screw hole.

bobs409

Administrator
I was going to go search my arsenal of hardware for a few hours but found a seller on ebay that had them. (10) for $5.50 & free shipping. Can't beat that! :D

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Bob, all you need is a "hole finder" tool to locate the hole under the panel. It is a widely used tool in aviation sheet metal repairs. We used to made our own in a few minutes using 2 hack saw blades bolted together on one end and a tiny pointed screw on the other end. Its SO EASY!! Everyone needs a tool like this. I used the tool to do my door panels. This video shows what they look like.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Bob, the screws in the Blue Circle, are also used, to hold the lower air vent kick panels on. (L&R)

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Bob, all you need is a "hole finder" tool to locate the hole under the panel. It is a widely used tool in aviation sheet metal repairs. We used to made our own in a few minutes using 2 hack saw blades bolted together on one end and a tiny pointed screw on the otheren end. Its SO EASY!! Everyone needs a tool like this. I used the tool to do my door panels. This video shows what they look like.
That is pretty slick Leo ,that would definitely work !!! Guess I will make one,but you know I will probably never need to use it ,maybe I will get another project so I can use it!!!:crazy:crazy:crazy

Last edited:

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The hardware store has those screws in chrome. No need to lay the premium restoration parts prices

bobs409

Administrator
I don't think they would have the door panel type. I have found the other kind at quite a few places but those are more common.