Correct Engine Paint Color?

Southfield10

Does anyone know what engines were "orange red" instead of orange? I want to paint my SB the correct color for a 1965 327. The crusty old 327 I have looks more orange red than orange but that could be time and heat.

Thanks!

62BillT

Well Known Member
Just plain old Chevy Orange is correct for a '65. As far as I know there was no other variation of the color.

blumun53

Well Known Member
Here'a tidbit you can pass on to your grandkids. ALL the 283's I've ever had, or seen, were the funky orange/red color. ALL the 327's I've ever had, or seen, were what is popularly called 'Chevy orange'. This, of course depends on whether they were repainted and painted the correct color, which in my case, they had never been repainted. The last 283 I can recall was in a 68 Chevy 1/2 ton p/u. And it was orange/red. Incidentally, I had to show a guy this particular p/u motor, because we had discussed this very same issue one night at work. Neither one of us, at that time, was a genius. :roll :roll :cool:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
55 was red

I think just 1955 was red? Somewhere in the tri-five era they switched to orange.