correct mag wheels 1961 impala aftermkt

pquinn

What are correct wheels for 1961 impala. aftermarket mags, actually available in 1961, not the cragar SS and am. racing available now. I want to stick with 14". I thought about going with custom 14" wire wheels, or the sears, allstate mags I have seen at swaps. there is a 1961 mag wheel buyer's guide i have seen on eBay, I think it's hot rod magazine. any photos online or here of correct 1961 mags available in 1961? I want to go swap meet hunting or eBay hunting.

pquinn

let me clarify, i meant mag-type wheels like slotted or reg. steel mag looking wheels, not magnesium like torq thrust. although i do see torg thrust was around then. i was born in 1967 so i do not have memory of what else was on the streets in 1961. i want cheaper steel wheels maybe- to save money. torq thrust from 1961 would probably be rare and expensive?? anyway, just wondering what options are correct for 14" in 1961

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Chrome reverse with baby moons or no caps at all.
There were not a lot of wheel choices back then.
The American Five spoke toque thrust was a popular 60's wheel.
Why buy used? I would buy new wheels.
When you can get a brand new set of rims that are guaranteed to be true and straight. :beerbang
Why bother with swap meet junk? or Ebay misrepresented not described very well, with huge shipping costs.:doh

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
droptop is correct. New American 5-spoke would be the wheel of choice, however if they are not in the budget, the chrome revese would be neat. Havent seen any of those in awhile. Yep, chrome reverse with blackwalls.

pquinn

what i am thinking is the car is white and i may want white wheels with chrome spinners for center cap. not chrome wheels. or chrome wire. but new 14" wheels are tough to come by, everybody wants to sell me 15". i am not a fan of chrome unless it is on wire wheels. true wires, like the british knock offs. i saw some wires on a 63 corvair and they were nice, but they were 13". the spinners said chevrolet on them. they were an option from chevy in 63. new american racing wheels are not really an option. i used to haul for them folks doing deliveries, so i've seen all the wheels they offer, and i am not really wanting any of those on my car. just my preference, i like the quality of american racing, they were nice, just not what i'm looking for. i have a good source for re-conditioning wheels, i used to haul wheels and tires for a living. however, they mainly recon the alloy stuff. a good old steel wheel should be in good shape still, should be able to eyeball it at swap. now, 14" wires get recon all the time by people, but they are mainly british jag stuff, or custom hot rod wires, which I may consider. 14" wires for a custom hot rod with chevy bolt pattern may turn up sometimes. now, the 14" 1963 fan blade-style [looked like a jet engine fan blade] wheels that were on the vette with the chrome spinners, those are nice. just not correct for 61 as far as i know. i am trying to get that spinner look, either on a mag or on a wire.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Chrome reverse

There's a guy out of St. Louis that brings tons of wheels to the local swap meet each year. I always stop and admire the chrome reverse wheels with the caps. Recall seeing them in the 60s. I think Bob mentioned it was an option (not sure if dealer or factory) in 1963. Looks are totally nostalgic. Simple, yet elegant. Might do it on one of mine someday :).

Enjoy!
TomK

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There are a ton of options for you if you go to any big swap meet and look for wheels that you have never seen on the modern cars.
I say big meets so you will have a better chance to find them but go to the small one also. You never know.
These would be names like Western, Fenton, Ansen?, Cragar (non SS), Rocket and several others.
dq

bobs409

Administrator
Tom Kochtanek said:
I think Bob mentioned it was an option (not sure if dealer or factory) in 1963.
TomK

Our very own Fred (SS425HP) mentioned it a few times and even has them on his car. :) Option code was P05.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Chrome wheels

That is true. 1963 was the only year of the option for chrome wheels. They are not reversed. Just stock 14" wheels chromed. You got the dog dish hub caps with them. When I put the disc brakes on the car last year, I had to take them off. They are in the garage at the moment.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SS425HP said:
That is true. 1963 was the only year of the option for chrome wheels. They are not reversed. Just stock 14" wheels chromed. You got the dog dish hub caps with them. When I put the disc brakes on the car last year, I had to take them off. They are in the garage at the moment.

Whats your address??? :roll