Corvair seats vs Impala

LowKat

Well Known Member
Does anybody know if 60-64 Corvair bucket seats are the same size as 62-64 Impala? or anyone installed any in their big Chevy?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I won't swear by it, but, I'm pretty sure Mike got a pair of buckets seats from a Corvair which were the same as an Impala. :dunno

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Chevrolet wanted to use Pontiac style bucket seats in the 62 Impalas but the idea was shot down by the bean counters. They were told they had to use a variation of the Corvair bucket seat. :scratch
I'm not sure where I read that so it could be all wrong. :doh

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
The Corvair seats I've seen don't have the chrome trim over the top, they fold straight forward instead at an angle and look narrower. There are Olds Starfires, Buick Wildcats and Pontiac Grand Prix and maybe Bonnevilles/Catalinas that use seats that look just like the '62-'64 Impala SS buckets (although the floor mounts are probably different). The seat foam I got for my '64 had '62-'64 Impala, Grand Prix written on the box.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Don't forget the early Chevelle buckets, which look a lot like those in the Corvair, including the trim :).