Crank snout

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Anybody ever figure out the price difference between the two ways to go on the big block crank in a W? Here are the options I see. Buy a 409 timing cover, timing chain set, damper, maching the snout of the BBC crank to 409 spec. OR buy Lamar Waldens timing cover, BBC sized timing set, BBC damper and save the cost of machinging the snout of the crank. Would still machine the counter weights. Which way is cheaper? or easier?

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Models

i'am at this cross roads too. i'am using a bone stock 454 crank in a 656 block and thought i could use BB gears and chain - WRONG! i could cut a W crank gear to fit but i don't know if this would be safe- sure don't want a failure here, it woud ruin my day! i don't know if Lamar's gear set is a better deal or not. need help too!

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Models

i would think turning your crank down and rekeying it would be cheaper. Lamar's parts are good but they come with a big price tag.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I realize everyone wants "strength" but I can tell you we have been running the turned down snout for years with no failures. If using 454 crank, use 400 small block balancer. Easy as 1,2,3. The big block snout and gears look and im sure much stronger, but how much is strong enough? The turned down snout works for us.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Ronnie

i am trying to build this engine to use a bone stock drop in BB crank just to see if i can do it. i am also using a stock BB oil pan with a modified BB timing chain cover. i was concerned about boring out a W crankshaft gear and cutting a new keyway to fit the BB snout. with the heat treat on the od of the gear and changing the id that much could cause the gear to crack in service. Lamar's gears maybe processed differently to aviod this. could be this isn't a problem but i have seen cracked gears on other engines. just trying to be safe.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did ya'all know that Lamar has updated his site with prices on almost everything he's got?:dunno
Ray
PS Ya gotta remember Lamar has a BIG investment in all this stuff. Ever call Edelbrock for tech on something really technical?

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
gearhead409 said:
i am trying to build this engine to use a bone stock drop in BB crank just to see if i can do it.

Won't work unless you increase the main journal diameter in the block and change main caps.

You certainly are taking the expensive/difficult way to stroking the 409.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Mike, i built my first stroker back in 1985 using a modified 454 crank when there wasn't much info out there on how to do it. i have been around these things a long time. i just wanted to see if i could build one using a stock BB crank. most of the work has been done in my spare time in my shop. not many dollars spent.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I've seen a BBC crank dropped in a block using BBC 4 bolt caps and line bored to BBC specs. Don't remember what he did on the snout.

I wonder if there is a different seal that would take the BBC snout and fit the 409 timing cover, just a thought.

58glj

you might want to check SB2 chevy. I think the crank snout is big block chevy and seal is big block ID and small block OD. crank gear bbc ID and sbc OD. Not positive, but I think so. Just a thought

gearhead409

Well Known Member
i wish that to be true, but the od of a W seal is only .080 bigger than the od on a BB damper. this would make for a very then seal. now if you are right on the crank gear, that might work!