Crankshaft P/S pulley

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Trying to identify this pulley ... Part # 3951310 grp # 0.659 i cant find this part in any of my catalogs or parts history ... Anyone ??

I have an idea what it is but nothing definite ...

Attachments

• IMG-9450.jpg
    IMG-9450.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-9451.jpg
    IMG-9451.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-9447.jpg
    IMG-9447.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-9452.jpg
    IMG-9452.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-9455.jpg
    IMG-9455.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 20

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Will have to look in my parts books. Does it appear to be deep groove"?
Jeff

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looked in my parts books. I am guessing this is it. Could it be a 3851310?
Tried uploading a pic from the book but it & I were not getting along. I could be interested in it.
Below is what I found, per the parts book.
65 Pass (409) (exc. H/Per.) ........................... PULLEY, front ................................. 3851310
Like LA & pvs409 said looks like an add on PS pulley.
Jeff

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Now if DIV1RACER-2's pulley is marked the same, dilemma solved!
AND since this is stated to be 65 only it may have something to do with the late design water pump that I have only heard about???
Jeff

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
The part # is stamped in the pulley .. I knew it was a P/S belt pulley but what it fit was the question ? Thanks Jeff for solving the mystery :)

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So is the box marked 3851310 or 3951310?
I recant the comment about the 2nd design water pump.
:doh! it's for power steering. But, then that poses the question, why is it 65 only?
Jeff

Last edited:

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Looking at the 50+ year old box it looks like 3951310 but looking closer i believe it is 38513010
It is written on the box is : 64-65 409 w/CAC ...

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So, I think w/CAC normally means "dealer add on AC". Ok add a stack on pulley as such, but there were no triple groove 1 piece crank pulleys that I am aware of for a W, unless some truck specific pulley. So that pulley to me would be correct for a factory AC equipped 65 W car also. Don't know why add on AC would be any different.
Jeff

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
In the abbreviations section in the front of the parts book, it says: C.A.C.........Car Air Conditioning..(All Weather, 4 Season, Deluxe)
So I guess it covers any AC.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Mine came with dual groove pulleys on the crankshaft and water pump. The inner belt is crankshaft, water pump, alternator. The outer, crankshaft, water pump, idler. If it had PS, the idler would be gone and replaced by the PS pump. I suspect that 3851310 add on pulley drove only the AC.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There was some discussion along this line in "Power steering option" April 14, 2023.
My experience with what I have put together for my 63 is the AC will use the middle groove. That is where factory AC brackets align the compressor groove to. I have a stamped steel deep groove version of the add on pulley like in the original discussion here and a deep groove PS pulley "1965-1968 NOS 3873847 DH 396/375,427/425 DG Power Steering Cast Iron GM Original". These 2 make up the 3rd front groove. Everything lines up and looks authentic "GM ish". The 3834720 deep groove cast iron PS pulley lines up with the 2nd groove from the crank, that would take place of the idler pulley in HP applications. If the car was a 340 hp car with PS, wo/AC, did the cast iron deep groove pulley get used or was there a stamped steel pulley? This is all very interesting discussion!
Jeff

Last edited:

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 63 with a 340hp non ac has a cast power steering pulley on the ps pump itself and idler on my non power steer 425hp 63

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Thank you , that is as i expected ...most of the early SBC cars w/ P/S used the additional pulley .. There are alignment provisions on the inside pulley ..