Dad always dreamed of driving a 1958 Impala

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What an awesome son. A memorable trip that you will now cherish forever.
Thanks for sharing with everyone.:appl

Gav

Well Known Member
My Turquoise 1958 Impala coupe 'some day' project remains tucked quietly in the back of my dad's workshop sans any complaints. Like many of you, life always seems to get in the way. Currently my '56 Nomad and '57 Belair projects are still in the works blocking any attention for the father-son '58 project. Well recently Dad turned 74 and silently I wondered how many planting seasons Dad has left. Don't get me wrong, he's healthy and hasn't lost a step yet but you just never know.
View attachment 41934
In September 2015 I found a triple black 1958 Impala with 348 for sale. I knew dad would love it. Factory air, 3 on the tree, and a convertible that's 99% original/stock so I made the deal. Can you say road trip? In October '15 two one-way tickets were purchased along with some munchies and off we went with a couple of nights of clothes in tow.

When we walked into the back warehouse, all the while a torrential storm was pounding away, we both just stopped in amazement. She was beautiful just sitting among all of the miscellaneous car parts. We adjusted her points, adjusted the center carburetor, and tweaked the timing after chasing down a short to the headlights (they were unplugged). Then off we went on our 800+ mile journey back to Arizona.

Due to sitting for long periods of time she didn't want to accelerate past 35 mph so I stayed on side roads paralleling the freeway while breaking her in. Eventually I had to hit the highway as nightfall was approaching. After a minor scare from the A/C belt slipping off the pulley, we made it to our first destination which was an RV Park with front row camping! The 44 degrees with fog didn't bother us nor did the wet ground. Luckily we traveled with our sleeping bags and camping gear so it was perfect for us.
Recap: 90 miles traveled, 14 mpg, zero oil consumption & 1 lazy hubcap placed in the trunk.

The weather on day two was much better so down came the top and we hit the highway. She seemed to be happier out on the highway and 55 mph was effortless. The overdrive option didn't work as promised but according to my Garmin we were getting 16 mpg.
View attachment 41935
Recap: 400 miles, plenty of thumbs up at gas stops, another night of camping on the ground.
View attachment 41936
Day 3 of this father son road trip was also trouble free. We arrived home with big smiles (and probably a few bugs in our teeth) and another fun road trip behind us.
View attachment 41937
Recap: 400 miles, a pint of oil, and a lifetime of memories

In summary:
I'm glad I decided to purchase a car for my father today rather than wait. The brakes felt non existent so I had the power brake booster rebuilt. The electrical wires were brittle so I'm currently installing a complete American Auto Wire OEM kit. Why did I buy it? Well, I guess I just wanted to have fun with my dad in his dream car making memories along the way.

Thanks for reading and keep driving your hot rods!
Chuck in AZ
I love to read stories like this father and son relationship, awesome great story .

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
What a great story!! Congratulations on putting a smile on your Dads face and preserving such a wonderful car!!

sshamu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks to American Auto Wire the complete rewire project is now complete. At first I was a bit concerned since no instructions were included. I started at the front headlights and worked backwards. Once I get under the dash I immediately went to the trunk and starting working forwards. Before I knew it I was removing the main wiring harness and installing then new harness. Now I'm just awaiting to install all new instrument lights and it's time to hit the road and test her out.

Thankfully I have my Turquoise '58 Impala coupe gets my old parts (for now) and those pitted taillights look pretty good on the old girl!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Nice car and good quality time with your Dad!!!! Yes i put the same wire harness in my car. Basically if you watch how the wire was routed under dash it is a piece of cake ,because all connection's are alike from old to new!!!!!

sshamu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Project Update: New wiring harness from front to back by American Auto wire was the easiest project I've ever done. Well, the hardest part was pressing the firewall grommet into its hole but other than that it was a snap.

Front suspension has ALL been rebuilt. While I had the parts in my hand I had them blasted and powder coated satin black for a clean simple look.

Column shifter tube was very sloppy when it got to driving temperature and upon inspection the factory spot welds that hold the actual shift lever were allowing it to move in random locations. (this makes for strange shifting experiences). All new bearings and now she shifts like a dream!

Rebuilt all three carbs and now she drives so sweet. I did discover the block was Stamped with an F at the end meaning: 3 speed column shift, 4bbl carb.

I found a 4 bbl intake manifold, had it dipped and stripped. I installed the new intake, carb and factory air cleaner and now she idles at below 800 rpm like she did on day #1.

The Borg Warner R10 transmission started making a funny noise. The funny thing is it was only noisy when going down a steep grade (driveway) in first gear. Once on flat ground the noise would stop. I suspected a worn counter gear or front bearing. So, I yanked the transmission last week and sure enough both were bad bad bad. New parts on on the way via USPS.

Fan shroud was media blasted and repainted satin black. I couldn't stand the rattle can look any longer.

sshamu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
per Jim Sullivan's request, here are some pics.

The transmission came out in under 15 minutes.
full

The block stamping proved to me one of the previous owners upgraded to a tri power.
full

My first time inside of the bowels of any transmission revealed the slider gear and the counter gear were badly worn.
full

The front bearing showed very bad pitting on the inside race and was on its last leg.

Last edited:

sshamu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'll finish with a couple of 2016 action shots.
February 2016 I was looking for a reason to do a quick roadtrip so I took her to Bartlett Lake just northeast of Phoenix.
full

April 5, 2016 I drove her to New Mexico for the annual opening of the Trinity site. I stopped over in Holbrook for a photo opportunity
full

sshamu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm pleased to announce I was able to install all the new parts into the overdrive transmission without incident. Even the little needle bearings behaved and stayed in their place as I put everything back together again. My dad and I stabbed the transmission back into place and took her for a drive. The noisy transmission issue has been fixed. Now she is smooth and quiet again.

Next up? One of the convertible top cylinders is lazy so I'll be replacing them both. I've never owned a convertible so this will be a challenge.