"Dad's Chevy" Revealed

60Impala4Dad

Well Known Member
Well guys, I finally revealed the 1960 Chevy Impala to my dad this past weekend. I have building it for him for going on two years this June, and he was in shock. :D "Wow" was the operative word all day. I showed him the car, and all of the before/after photos as the car was being restored. It is obviously still in primer as far as the body goes, but the entire chassis/drivetrain is done and show-ready. We ran the engine several times over the weekend and it sounded great, and the car shifts into all gears and moves under it's own power, but only with the emergency brake stopping it for now since the car will be coming back apart for paint in the future.

This will be the end of my work on the car for now until I relocate everything to the new house and shop being built in western PA. I expect to be back at it again either late this fall or early next year as far as the shop goes. With the car running and "together" and the reveal over with this is a good resting point for the car (and for me). I will be able to pick things up again with ease (and anxioty) later when the shop is done.

Thanks again for all of your help here with information and support. I have updated my profile with pics from this weekend, but here are a few to save you from changing screens.....
Regards,
Daran
"Doc"

Attachments

• IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_0028.jpg
    100_0028.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1331.jpg
    IMG_1331.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 117

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
The pictures say it all Doc. I see avery happy and proud dad in those pics. Great job:clap

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Must have been a great day!
that will be one of yours and his favorite days of all times.
You are both lucky. Awesome and bravo to you!
:clap:clap:clap

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
You better get dad a hanky. He's drooling all over your primer paint.You must be a very special son in your dad's eyes.:cry Just look at his facial expression. :loveThat says it all ! Job well done ,and I bet he can't wait for it to be finished so he can tear up the street in front of the house.:clapI bet he can whip that stick all around that floor and make it sound like a TH350 shifting.:eek:I fondly remember my mom making a fool out of me when I bought my 1st new car. A 1966 Olds 442 with a 4 speed. She used to amaze the guys when she took off in front of my house with those brand new BFGs smoking away. She would never miss a shift and always remarked about how fast it was. She always had a blast driving that car. My 1st wife wasn't to thrilled about watching her mother in law thrash our new car like that.:nono1::grumble:My mom was 50 at the time and told me how my grandpa showed her how to shift a 4-speed back in the daywhen she was 16. Best of luck with the project and remember that Dad is proud of you.:cheers:cheers

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
Man! That is great! I wish my dad liked old cars. Hopefully I can start my son off like that. By the way - I have a '60 Impala conv as well.

Attachments

• AutoramaImp4.jpg
    AutoramaImp4.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 39

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Sounds like a great weekend. Going to be hard waiting for the new shop Im sure, For the both of you., Got to do a 69 mustang with my dad a couple of years ago. Very cool.

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Doc

Great Job
Your dad must be very bery impressed
I lost my dad and my mom at the age of 5 ( I am now 61 )

I always think how nice it would be to be able to get with him on certain things
and show him what I can do

truly a prize moment for you and him

Keep up the great work

My hat is off to you:bow:bow

best of luck to you and him

Roger

60Impala4Dad

Well Known Member
Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone. My dad (and mom) traveled back home on Monday and I already can't wait to get back on the car this fall (hopefully).

Ronnie (and others) - his smiles lasted all day and all weekend. It was great.

Impalamike - Your 60 impala looks great. It looks like a custom, dechromed (trim) and door handles shaved. When you get a chance send me some more pics!

I told my dad about 348-409.com and how you all have helped me with information on making the car correct and with tech info, and also how some people on here have been following the story. He was impressed.

Thanks again.

Doc

60Impala4Dad

Well Known Member
Hey Doc. did you remember to give him the forum goodies??

Dave

I sure did! He made me hold onto things for safe keeping, but he took home one coffee cup to show everyone. On my next visit I will be taking a couple more back so that he can "properly enjoy" some warm java. Now that the cat is out of the bag the decals will be prominently displayed. :beerbang;

Thanks again.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Nice going, Doc. No one is more important, than a DAD.:clapHe has a good son.:hug

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just awsome Doc your doing a great job:beerbang I know you will keep up the good work:cheers Good luck with the move. Ken

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great Job Doc:clap:clap. Got a brother?

Impalamike: As your dad doesn't like old cars ,I do. You can start the resto on the 58 anytime you want.:roll

Ray