Dash

Well Known Member
Just the engine turned decorative pieces on the ends and yes it was quite easy to take out.

bobs409

Administrator
This is one of very few pieces I never had to remove on my car. That and the column for now. :D

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Interesting I've had a few 63 ss' s and never saw that before. Where was your car built? Mine where all built in Los Angeles

Well Known Member
Car was built at Janesville,early production .
The title when I bought the car was from South Dakota .

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I looked at the dash out of my '63 SS and there are no markings at all. It was built in Baltimore.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim...look in the 2 corners. The SS has the swirl inserts in the corners that match the dash trim while the Impala has the aluminum pieces that match the dash trim.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim...look in the 2 corners. The SS has the swirl inserts in the corners that match the dash trim while the Impala has the aluminum pieces that match the dash trim.
Sorry, I wasn't specific on what markings I was talking about. My dash does have the SS swirl pattern in the corners on the front. It doesn't have any "SS" markings on the back like 63409's dash has. Maybe plant specific markings?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's always neat finding traces of human interaction in our old vehicles
A freind of mine was telling a story the other day about a car he bought new in the 60's that had a terrible rattle in the passenger door. He had taken it into the deership several times and no one could figure out what was causing the rattle. Finally they decided to take the door panel off and in the bottom of the door was a Orange Fanta pop bottle. Remember the Fanta pop machines? Anyway inside the pop bottle was a note and it read as follows "How long did it take to find this rattle"...:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll
Now I have to admit that is a assembly worker with a sense of humor...:horse

Well Known Member
Remove the screws around the perimeter on the housing of the Dash, when the housing is removed then remove a few screws that hold the dash gauges only six or eight screws I don't remember .

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Knowing the people at Janesville (many farmers who by nature are practical) it probably went like this: Somebody put the wrong cluster in (an SS in an Impala or vice versa) and they caught it late in the build or in an audit or maybe at the dealer. Some yelling took place, they realized how subtle the difference was, then they decided to error proof it by marking the SS parts when they took them out of the box.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Shortcut labeling was commonly used on the assembly line to save time. Taking the time to look up part numbers would bog the line down.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A freind of mine was telling a story the other day about a car he bought new in the 60's that had a terrible rattle in the passenger door. He had taken it into the deership several times and no one could figure out what was causing the rattle. Finally they decided to take the door panel off and in the bottom of the door was a Orange Fanta pop bottle. Remember the Fanta pop machines? Anyway inside the pop bottle was a note and it read as follows "How long did it take to find this rattle"...:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll
Now I have to admit that is a assembly worker with a sense of humor...:horse

Not to redirect the thread, however this is funny, and I have personally done something similar for years. When ever I pulled the cases on the Harley engines apart to rebuild/replace the flywheels, I always took a yellow salvage yard marker and wrote different things in them, like, you are not the first one in here, to Bob sucks ( who was a great friend of mine ) and a bunch of other stuff I cant remember right now. Nothing as mischievous as a bottle though.