Decoding a BBC

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a BBC casting # 3963512 Suffix T1209LD. This decodes as a 1969 427/425 SHP. The vin on the engine is 19J206982 1=Chevrolet 9=1969 J=Jacksonville,WI and then the last six digits are the production # and has no bearing on the type of vehicle. What I was trying to figure out is what vehicle this would have come in in 1969. This site is pretty good. http://www.chevroletcamaros.com/pages/decoding/engine/engineindex.html
If you look up the suffix under Full size Chevrolet you can find it but not under Chevelle, Camaro, Nova or, Corvette. Anyone know if this could have been in any of these cars being it was a SHP (Special High Performance) or if it would have been in full size Chevrolet Impala, Caprice only?:? Any help would be great.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
LD would appear to be passenger car 425hp manual trans high perf :) so that means not corvette nova,camaro or chevelle. That can all change when those guys find a 512 block and restamp. One of are members was lookings at one time for a 512 block because he had one of the 77 m22 full size passenger cars that in fact was 1-6or 10 425hp m22 1969 biscaynes.

quik9r

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a BBC casting # 3963512 Suffix T1209LD. This decodes as a 1969 427/425 SHP. The vin on the engine is 19J206982 1=Chevrolet 9=1969 J=Jacksonville,WI and then the last six digits are the production # and has no bearing on the type of vehicle. What I was trying to figure out is what vehicle this would have come in in 1969. This site is pretty good. http://www.chevroletcamaros.com/pages/decoding/engine/engineindex.html
If you look up the suffix under Full size Chevrolet you can find it but not under Chevelle, Camaro, Nova or, Corvette. Anyone know if this could have been in any of these cars being it was a SHP (Special High Performance) or if it would have been in full size Chevrolet Impala, Caprice only?:? Any help would be great.

It's actually Janesville, Wisconsin and they only built full size cars in 69 so it could be any of the full size models.:coffee: