Denny Ford - PA Dutch Classic

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Posted today on Drag Race Central, at Maple Grove Raceway, the NHRA PA Dutch Classic, near Reading PA Denny qualified his A/S 69 Camaro at 10.225 on an 11.25 index! That's 1.025 seconds under the index. Good luck Denny!! Show 'em how to cut a light!!

:clap:clap

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
This one is a couple years old, may have changed a little since then.

Camaro2.jpg

Bomar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I talked to Denny yesterday . There is a live feed on the tracks web site. Its the one on Dicks post. I got to see him run the last run for yesterday he went a 10.40 something, spun the tires. There is a new motor in the car. He and I went to Long Island a few weeks ago and picked it up. It's still in the fine tuning stage.We went to Atco 3 weeks ago and went a 10.29@ 130 mph. That was with a 5:13 gear, it has 5:38 now. The weather doesn't look good at Reading today. I'll talk to him later today and post any updates. Bo

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't know for sure, but chances are the Biscayne's NOT for sale.
Here's a picture of it leaving the starting line beside Allen George's Bluescreamer.
2007july30055bucket.jpg

Bomar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Stick62, It's not for sale, but if it ever is I'm buying it. I kinda have an inside connection to it . I know someone who knows the owner really well:roll Bo

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Stick62, It's not for sale, but if it ever is I'm buying it. I kinda have an inside connection to it . I know someone who knows the owner really well:roll Bo

Bo,does Denny have the new engine in the 62 yet ? Denny wins his first round,thanks to a red light. Denny ran a 10.31 :clap

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I can't get the live feed out here at the shop.:cry
What you can't see in those pictures is how nice Denny's Biscayne sounds going down the track. You just can't beat the sound of a 409 and a four speed.

Bomar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Bo,does Denny have the new engine in the 62 yet ? Denny wins his first round,thanks to a red light. Denny ran a 10.31 :clap

Jim, Dennys considering building a NHRA legal stocker motor for it. I'm not sure what will happen. He has everthing to back to build the new big motor:dunno Bo
My birthday's comming up soon I think the 62 would be a nice present , what ya think?

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Thanks for all the kind words guys. :)

I have owned both of these cars for a long time , i bought the Camaro in 1981 as a hulk & proceeded to transform it in to a NHRA stock eliminator car . It has been a good car that hooks good & goes straight w/ the wheels up. We have had the C/S record twice & set the A/S record but could not back up the record due to a wheelstand. Not lately though :dunno

I just put the car back together after sitting for 3 years.

NHRA has allowed us to have wheelie bars & they will be on the car next year!!:clap

I'll try to post a wheels up picture if i can figure it out. :dunno

I bought the Biscayne in 1985 from our own PHAST PHIL REED , probably paid too much for it :roll:roll:roll:roll:roll , but why not ,Phil's such a great guy!dunno

The new big motor is together, notin the car [ on hold for right now ]

Yes we will have an NHRA stocker motor for the 62 ready for next year !!

Then it's a matter of beating on NHRA for a HP reduction to get the combination competitive.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Denny, I certainly hope you are building a NHRA stocker and not a S/S car. Stick62 made 515 hp with a 327-250. Using those parameters, he should easily make 650 hp with a 409-340. I would think that would put a 63 biscayne in the 10.60s with a 340 hp engine. I would travel a long distance and buy a ticket to watch that one run. But if you are building a stocker, I will also travel a long way to watch your car run. Looking forward to it. Next summer, I hope. Good luck with it, if anybody can compete , I know you can.

Stick62

Well Known Member
Denny, I certainly hope you are building a NHRA stocker and not a S/S car. Stick62 made 515 hp with a 327-250. Using those parameters, he should easily make 650 hp with a 409-340. I would think that would put a 63 biscayne in the 10.60s with a 340 hp engine. I would travel a long distance and buy a ticket to watch that one run. But if you are building a stocker, I will also travel a long way to watch your car run. Looking forward to it. Next summer, I hope. Good luck with it, if anybody can compete , I know you can.

Ronnie----
that 515 was not even near a record motor.( I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic when you said I made 515 etc) Ran 10.50s in J/A.....thats nothing. .8 under. The GOOD ones make upwards of 550. Its all in the heads and cam ( not all but these play a MAJOR part.) Stockers, UNLIKE Super stockers are VERY limited in headwork and intakes.
Super stockers are unlimited on what you can do with heads, and most of the guys who do the heads make your intake also.

So I don't know about him getting anywhere NEAR that kind of HP out of a Stocker engine. IN fact, it jus aint happenin. ( the 650 HP number you threw out there)
I would imagine he may make about the same or less than what I was making.

Stock and Super Stock is a whole other world. You dont just throw together whatever you want to make HP. It is VERY involved, and VERY costly in BOTH classes. The rules are very strict....
With the BBs he will be up against if he runs in B,C or D stock......... he'll have his hands full. And a 10.60 in that car in C is like a second under....... tough deal!
and after making the HP..........THEN it has to HOOK!!! ( No rear suspension mods allowed.... like moving control arm mounting points)

Stick62

Well Known Member
Thanks for all the kind words guys. :)

I have owned both of these cars for a long time , i bought the Camaro in 1981 as a hulk & proceeded to transform it in to a NHRA stock eliminator car . It has been a good car that hooks good & goes straight w/ the wheels up. We have had the C/S record twice & set the A/S record but could not back up the record due to a wheelstand. Not lately though :dunno

I just put the car back together after sitting for 3 years.

NHRA has allowed us to have wheelie bars & they will be on the car next year!!:clap

I'll try to post a wheels up picture if i can figure it out. :dunno

I bought the Biscayne in 1985 from our own PHAST PHIL REED , probably paid too much for it :roll:roll:roll:roll:roll , but why not ,Phil's such a great guy!dunno

The new big motor is together, notin the car [ on hold for right now ]

Yes we will have an NHRA stocker motor for the 62 ready for next year !!

Then it's a matter of beating on NHRA for a HP reduction to get the combination competitive.

Start beating on NHRA *NOW*........... they don't move too fast ( YOU know that) and have only been getting worse...... what combo are you going to go with?

Mark

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Stick, I think you misread again. Read my post again. I recognize the difference in stock and S/S. The 650 hp figure was S//S not stock. Read it again. My point was is you can build a S/S 327-250 and more than double hp, then you could build a 409-340 and double that hp. I have no idea which car Denny is building. I assume a stocker. I was not being sarcastic, only pointing out what you could do in S/S with a 409-340.

Stick62

Well Known Member
Stick, I think you misread again. Read my post again. I recognize the difference in stock and S/S. The 650 hp figure was S//S not stock. Read it again. My point was is you can build a S/S 327-250 and more than double hp, then you could build a 409-340 and double that hp. I have no idea which car Denny is building. I assume a stocker. I was not being sarcastic, only pointing out what you could do in S/S with a 409-340.

I wonder why none are running in NHRA Superstock?
I didn't misread. I ASKED if you were being sarcastic. I didnt base my post on that.

You can't make the statement that since I more than doubled MY hp, that that can be done with any motor. And after you make the power, as I tried to point out, you still have to get it to the ground. The 409's simply cannot be "record cars" in Class racing. Might get under the index, but you aren't going to run the 1++ under that the guys in B,C, and D are. Those are about the most competetive classes in Stock. If he can get a BIG HP reduction, it helps, but in a heads up with a 396/375 Camaro I think the race is over.

I dont know what combo he is planning so I dont know what class his car will end up with. There is a HP to weight ratio formula to determine Class. If he uses a 340 HP motor, I dont know that they have that factored.....haven't followed that on 09 stuff. If its a "soft" factor, he may have a better chance in a lower class, but can't see that car going any lower than maybe E?.......... If it is a "Natural" D stocker for instance...he may move up or down one class.
I *THINK* Aubreys car is a natural C car, and he has tried it in B,C and D, I believe.
If he uses the 425 HP for example, Im pretty sure he has no choice but a stick..... 340 combo could use glide I would think.
I'm just saying its a tough combo! This is why there are none out there. Well, one, And it is the ONLY 409 Stocker in the World.
Class indexes:
B/S 11:50
C/S 11.65
D/S 11.80
E/S 11.95
The good cars go 1 under. The best, more.