Diagnosing the 1960 cigarette lighter

VintageDon

OK, So maybe this isn't the most thrilling title or topic you have ever seen! Haha! Trying to restore this 1960 Biscayne to total stock condition. The original cigarette lighter looks pretty, but it does not work. I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem in the base, or in the lighter itself. It clicks in and out just fine, but nothing gets hot.

Yes, it has 12 volts to it.

1000024547.jpg

1000024548.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
I like the other style that the knob unscrews from the element. (if they had them for '60) That way when it goes bad, you can change it and salvage your knob. Not so in this case, the whole thing is scrap. (someone might still want it, better than an empty hole LOL) The nice thing about the other kind is you can find them in many cars and trucks to fix your old one.

One of these is called a "Rochester" style. I think it's the one above but don't quote me on that. Also note that the sockets are not interchangeable.

Last edited:

VintageDon

Thanks for these responses, gentleman. Very helpful, I suspected there might have been a coil required in there, but now I know. So I'll probably end up going with the classic industries repop. @bobs409 Thanks for that research effort! As you probably noticed, the alternate style you prefer appears to only have been 61 to 63. It definitely would be nice to be able to keep my original lighter knob, and I always prefer the original parts to a repop, but this is not something that people are going to even see very often. Looks like my problem is resolved. Thanks again.

1000024210.jpg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
That shaft has to unscrew from coil to be able to screw on new element. Or am I wrong? The other threaded end just connects old knob.

VintageDon

The leftmost piece is just a passive handle or knob. The piece on the right simply passes through the centerpiece and the skinny stud or shaft is threaded, which screws into the handle on the left. The part they sell to repair it is not just the coil, it includes both pieces to the right already assembled, as seen there in the ad.
1000024559.jpg

1000024561.jpg