Dielectric Grease II

chuckl

Well Known Member
Quote from a well-known publication:

"Dielectric grease (DG) is a translucent compound, predominantly silicone-based, and has exceptional insulatrive qualities. Its structure makes it a good insulator in electrical situations. It is usually made up of a silicone oil base and a thickener, which is usually silica. The silicone oil aspect facilitates lubrication, making it an excellent choice for electrical systems. It's primary function is to resist the flow of electrical current, establishing it as an effective sealant for electrical connections."

The article goes on to say it should be used on spark plug terminals, battery terminals, light bulb sockets and a million other uses.

What am I missing? If its primary mission is to resist the flow of electrical current, how can it help electrical current flow and improve the connection? If it is such a good insulator, how does putting it on a battery terminal, between the ground (or positive) cable clamps help electrical flow? The silicone makes bulbs, connectors, terminals, plugs, jacks, etc., easier to remove; but how does it improve the physical contact between the two pieces of metal and the flow of current?

ChuckL

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Dielectric grease is used for corrosion protection. It used on spark plug boots to help prevent them sticking to the spark plugs. You can apply the grease to the outside of battery terminals but not inside between the terminal end and the battery terminal.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I thought the same about this grease, that it was used to conduct a good flow of electricity. I had it on everything electrical. Then, I read otherwise. What a mess in taking all the connections apart and removing the grease. I don't recall what car I used this on, but I'm surprised it even ran, Carmine.