Difference between 1961 62 409 exhaust manifolds 583-4 and 682-3

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is there a difference in tube length or configuration between the late 61 409 exhaust Manifold and the early 62 409 Manifold visually they basically look alike
with some certain cosmetically difference
Hopefully someone can put some light on this
I'm looking at a set for my 62 project that are 61 583-4 not going to race

Thanks Wayne

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I thought you were asking this question...
583/584 manifolds have 2 &1/2 inch outlets and small tubes.
682/683 manifolds have 2 & 1/2 outlets and big tubes ( I have had 2 sets of these manifolds dated for 62 409’s)
Paul

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes I was
I wanted some clarification on the difference other than some visual appearance
I figured there had to be something with the tube length not thinking of the size of the tube but makes since bigger tubes because of 2x4 in 62
so back to the search for the correct manifolds 682/683
Thanks to all for your help:)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I dont think there is any visual difference, may be some difference in the port size but externally they look the same and use the same headpipe

ozzie7

Well Known Member
Here's a set on ebay.
Not Cherry or Cheap.

3814682-3814683 Exhaust Manifolds

05KLFXS.jpg

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks I'm Watching these now half the price I've seen lately but still $$$$
I've looked them over best I can with a picture only thing I see is the gen mounting hole is wallered out
Thanks

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That is actually not a bad price from what I have seen over the last 2 years.
I got more than that price for my last set.
Compare the tubes size on these to 583/584 manifolds and you can see the larger diameter difference to these 682/683 manifolds
Paul

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Paul
Thanks for your feed back realizing that these manifolds where only produced for early 62 and replaced later that model year

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The cosmetic differences that I have noticed are as follows
Casting Number on the 583/4 are off to one side due to a divot under the reinforcement between the 2 middle bolt holes which is not on the 1962 682/3 which allows casting number to be centered
Left Manifold has divot on front runner next casting riser above lower mounting hole on 1962 682/3
These are the the most notable difference
Hope this will help other to identify these manifolds without a measuring stick to check runner size

Thanks to all for your input

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would buy the later long tube hiperf manifolds, they look sweet. But if you're doing a "correct" car that may not be possible

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes that is what i'm doing
The car that is my avatar was my brothers car from back in 62 that i'm replicating and I know that was an early production car so these should be right

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry just saw this response
He was just happy to get the car so he could take it racing he originally had ordered a SS 409 but it was delayed so he bought one off the lot one of the first times out he won stock elemininator at Colorado Springs

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have both manifolds so here are the differences both cosmetically and runner/port sizes
The Dark Gray one is the 58-61 348/409 584/3
Silver ones are the 1962 683/2
As I said in the earlier post about the divots and the differences in location of part #s
But the info about the port size is of interest in 2nd picture notes the sizes
I hope this helps someone who may be looking when your going thru a pile of manifolds that all look alike
Thanks to all for your earlier post

100_2261.JPG100_2263.JPG100_2265.JPG100_2264.JPG