Difference between truck and car 409

Moyock13

Interesting! How do folks find these treasures? What other equipment did the 348/409 power? For instance I know that old Chrysler hemi's can be found in aircraft tugs/tractors, irrigation pumps, warning sirens, generators and other industrial equipment.

Is the industrial 348/409 marked differently, like a specific casting number?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Three ways to find things:

1. Know someone who has a stash of parts
2. Search sources like Craigslist, Ebay, etc. on a daily basis
3. Attend a local car event and pass the word around

Once you find one, and other people learn of that, you'd be surprised at how many stories and leads you might be presented with.

Just yesterday I was privileged to view a gaggle of bare 409 blocks that were of the first variety :).

Be prepared to act quickly, take chances, and have cash on hand :). Along the way you will come up with a few "dogs" if you take chances...

Good luck, TomK

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Three ways to find things:

1. Know someone who has a stash of parts
2. Search sources like Craigslist, Ebay, etc. on a daily basis
3. Attend a local car event and pass the word around

Once you find one, and other people learn of that, you'd be surprised at how many stories and leads you might be presented with.

Just yesterday I was privileged to view a gaggle of bare 409 blocks that were of the first variety :).

Be prepared to act quickly, take chances, and have cash on hand :). Along the way you will come up with a few "dogs" if you take chances...

Good luck, TomK
When I started looking back in the 80's I would ask everyone I came in contact with, it took a couple of years but all of a sudden I started getting leads. I followed up on every lead and bought everything I could, I always figured after I had what I wanted I could sell off what was left. I feel word of mouth is one of the best ways to find stuff, 35+ years later and I am still buying Ha.

427John

Well Known Member
Interesting! How do folks find these treasures? What other equipment did the 348/409 power? For instance I know that old Chrysler hemi's can be found in aircraft tugs/tractors, irrigation pumps, warning sirens, generators and other industrial equipment.

Is the industrial 348/409 marked differently, like a specific casting number?
Along with trucks/buses,boats,irrigation pumps/generators,I do know they were used in combines and possibly similar equipment like corn pickers and cotton pickers.From what I've seen on industrial engines they seem to use the same casting number blocks as cars,heads and water pumps that are unique to industrial apps. have different casting numbers.

427John

Well Known Member
:yupIt appears that the basic long block is the same in all the industrial/truck/marine apps for a given year just different external bolt on accessories for specific applications.But if you plan to use it for performance work it will need to be rebuilt with higher compression pistons and more aggressive profile cam anyway.