Dip Stick & Header problem

CVECCH409

My dip stick doesn't seem to fit on my 409 now that I put Ballanger headers on it. Is this a problem w/headers or am I the problem. :cuss

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It is a problem with the Ballanger headers. I think they forgot 409's have dipsticks. I took the die grinder to the flange an cut a groove where the dipstick has to go. Then I heated the header tube and hammered it in a little for more clearance.

Ron

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Me too. I had to do a fair bit of grinding. Good thing I noticed this before I got the headers coated.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I took a tubing bender and bent the tubing and then you stick the dipstick in sideways so it will follow the bend. Also I called Lokar and they will make you a flexable one really reasonable. Another spot that took a little massaging was where the header goes under the left lower control arm. But I wouldn't trade them for Sanderson's. Roy

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I also had trouble with the left lower control arm. I had to massage/move it about 3/4 inch. On the right side, the header would not go in with the starter in place and the starter would not go in with the header in place. But they did go in together.....not fun. And with the inner fenders removed, it was pretty easy to connect the wires to the solenoid. I had about 10 hours installation time.

I also welded 1/8 pipe to the backside for heat transfer so the choke works.
Ron

CVECCH409

64ss409 your motor looks great and I had your same starter header problem :cuss My problem is I chromed my headers before I fit them :cuss

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
64ss409 said:
I also had trouble with the left lower control arm. I had to massage/move it about 3/4 inch. On the right side, the header would not go in with the starter in place and the starter would not go in with the header in place. But they did go in together.....not fun. And with the inner fenders removed, it was pretty easy to connect the wires to the solenoid. I had about 10 hours installation time.

I also welded 1/8 pipe to the backside for heat transfer so the choke works.
Ron

That holding the starter, starting the starter bolts, all while trying to keep the headers in place, on your back under the car thing is why I went with a mini-starter. I never thought that I would be one to use one of them mini thingies,,,
But I`ll be smiling tomorrow when doing it after the engine is installed !!!,,dq

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
One more thing I could add about Ballenger headers is that I had to do alot of pipe squashing in order to get then to fit my car. :cry The main reason for this is because I've got a convertable and the frame re-enforcements use up at least 1/2" of valuable clearance. The headers are pretty nice though and they are reasonably priced but I wouldn't recomend them for a convertable.

CVECCH409, How's your car coming along. We need pictures. :D