Disc Brake Conversion

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hello everyone

Can anyone recommend a disc brake conversion for a 65/66 Impala?
I'm looking for a new kit that maintains stock offset from one of the many manufacturers out there and would prefer to buy from someone that has made in the USA products.
Something that can be bolted to the regular 65/66 spindles.
Also looking for a dual master w/booster.

There's lotsa companies selling stuff.............:dunno
Who have you dealt with and who do you think is the best stuff for
the buck...:deal

any info appreciated

:cheers
bj

ngale65

i have a 65 impala and i bought a complete baer brake kit for my car. it works with the original spindals. the only dis is you have to go with at least a 15 inch wheel. the other company i looked into was ssbc, they offered a complete kit as well.
email me if you want any specifications on the kit i bought
hope this helps
ngale65@yahoo.com
nathan

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Ronnie. There are a few bracket bolt on kits for the 65-67 cars. The typical one uses the 11" Chevelle rotor and I believe it may move the wheels out some(3/8"??) it also uses the large Chevelle single piston caliper. This kit works well on these cars. You can pick up a used 67-70 disc brake set up that will bolt right on to your car. Keep in mind replacement rotors are obsolete, there is a couple of people re-popping the rotors but they will set you back about $100 each. I believe that original set up uses a 12" rotor. I'm not familiar with the Baer or SSBC but those will cost you probably 4 times what a bracket kit with Chevelle rotors will!
Personally I use import rotors, GM calipers and made in the USA laser cut brackets.I use to stock a well known "made in Canada" brand rotor but I noticed they were re-boxing import rotors so I changed, for half the cost!
I don't ship USPS so I really can't help you out in Canada. I'm more than willing to offer you any advice where I can.

gbafus

Well Known Member
I bought a kit for my '58 from a vendor on ebay. I have since read somewhere that the 7" single diaphragm booster that is included in some of these kits is NOT adequate for a full size car. I wish I'd gone with a 8" dual diaphragm booster. Any thoughts on this?

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey 1958 Delivery

Stuff I buy in the States is shipped to an address in Port Huron, Mich.
That's about an hour drive from here.

I am looking for a kit that does not move the wheels outward.
Are these available?
What do you offer as a complete kit? Also looking for a double
master w/booster.

Are the 11" rotors adequate for a 4200 lb car? I would prefer at least 12".

Do you have a number of the supplier in Canada?

thanx for your help

bj

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Bj

i have been using Master Power Brakes at my shop for about 15 years. i love their service. they did a 54 Desoto last month, i sent them the spindles and 14 days later i had everything at the front door to finish the job. their kits are always complete, saves alot of time hunting for extra hardware. they are in Mooresville North Carolina. 1 888 249 9424 give them a call.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I bought a kit for my '58 from a vendor on ebay. I have since read somewhere that the 7" single diaphragm booster that is included in some of these kits is NOT adequate for a full size car. I wish I'd gone with a 8" dual diaphragm booster. Any thoughts on this?

7" single boosters are very close to worthless, unless your car weighs under 3000lbs.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey 1958 Delivery

Stuff I buy in the States is shipped to an address in Port Huron, Mich.
That's about an hour drive from here.

I am looking for a kit that does not move the wheels outward.
Are these available?
What do you offer as a complete kit? Also looking for a double
master w/booster.

Are the 11" rotors adequate for a 4200 lb car? I would prefer at least 12".

Do you have a number of the supplier in Canada?

thanx for your help

bj

The 11" with large GM calipers works very well, as long as you have a good booster with good engine vacumm. Some one mentioned a 12" kit for these cars a month or two ago, I think. Maybe try searching the board. I don't get too involved in 65-68 cars because of the low demand, but I have noticed that the demand is slowly increasing.

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
'69-'70 with a MP-1 booster

Ive always been skeptical about the "bolt on kits" for original 1965 spindles. About the coolest conversion and about the cheapest too, is to buy a spndle/rotor/caliper setup on eBay for a '69 or '70 car. Those use 12" rotors.

Changining spindles on a '65 is easy if you have a ball joint separator. Just make sure that the lower control arm is properly secured so that you dont have a big spring come fly out at you when you go to change spindles.

Use a Master Power dual diaphram booster, 8" if you have a Big Block or "W" car, otherwise it will hit the left valve cover, and a MP combination valve, then you're set.

Stock looking, Stock offset, Factory backing plates makes for a very clean looking install

One word of caution though. You have to make sure that the pedal height adjustment is all the way UP when you install the booster.

Disk brakes require alot more pedal travel than drum/drum setups do.

Rock :cool:

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
7" single boosters are very close to worthless, unless your car weighs under 3000lbs.

Well, I have a 7" single booster in my 1957 Belair, with Wilwood 4 wheel discs and they work great. It's way over 3K.
115070042.jpg

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, I have a 7" single booster in my 1957 Belair, with Wilwood 4 wheel discs and they work great. It's way over 3K.
115070042.jpg

Ah yes, but you have good engine vacumm, which many do not. But put a larger booster in place of that one and you'll be surprised at the stopping power difference! It doesn't have to be so much "larger in diameter, try a dual 8".
Most of the rodders around here have after market cams that reduce vacumm, it doesn't have to be a large cam either. Cams cut on 110-112 centerline, even a pea shooter one will cut vacumm at idle to about 12-13"s.
Put a 7" single on a car with 12"s vac and it is worthless!

That 57 should be about 3200-3400lb.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
try www.abspowerbrake.com, they claim to make a kit that does not change the offset at least on the 58-64, i just checked, and they do make a kit also, for your car.

There kit that moves the wheel outboard 3/8" is the same as the one I sell for $295.
The one they advertise as maintaining the "stock" location uses Fxrd Explorer calipers and 10.29" rotors. Good luck.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey models916

I have a set from a 68 Camaro 14" disc........would these be the same as 69.

Hope to use these with stock 14" 66 full face hub caps

bj