Disc Brake master cyl.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Purchased a front disc brake kit (58 Delivery) for the Impala and am looking for a master cyl. and porportioning valve to add on it while I'm at it, tired of the drums the constant adj, on the front and p.o.s replacement drums that or egg shaped or out of balance. Any way what works any mid size car with disc drum setup work like 72 or ??

Kaycee

Well Known Member
So I can keep my master and setup now , is it just replumb some lines or ???Was going to tackle it this weekend maybe I should read the directions again :scratch

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So I can keep my master and setup now , is it just replumb some lines or ???Was going to tackle it this weekend maybe I should read the directions again :scratch
I understand your pm now.
Drum brake masters have a residual pressure valve inside. This holds 10 psi on the brakes after stepping on pedal. OK with drum brakes but not with disc brakes, will lock up calipers.
If you remove the valve then your master is good to go with disc brakes.
On a single master, take it apart, at very front end of spring is a round disc with small holes drilled around it. Just take it off spring and reassemble master without it.clip_image002_002.jpg

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Some people want the dual for supposed safety reasons, what ever. However I'm good with a single especially since any car of mine will have brand new brake parts front and rear, namely hoses. So I seriously doubt that I will have a major leak from any of the 4 wheels. Hell, I even drive around with a leaky drum wheel cylinder. Nothing happens it would take a completely cut hose to cause sudden loss of brake fluid.
However if you have to have a dual master then you MUST also install a combo valve with it to have any safety improvement. A dual by it self will not slow down fluid loss from both circuits

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Yes sir thats what I'm looking for :winnerwasn't to crazy about putting all that other crap on was hoping to make it as stock looking as possible .Your kit went on like a dream popped it on in a few hrs ,will operate the master cyl. sometime this weekend Thanks for the info:good

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
My almost brand new single master cylinder failed internally (no leaks) as i was braking for a stop sign. I very carefully turned left and left again into my driveway. I have since installed a dual master with proportioning valve. All seems well.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My almost brand new single master cylinder failed internally (no leaks) as i was braking for a stop sign. I very carefully turned left and left again into my driveway. I have since installed a dual master with proportioning valve. All seems well.
Sure, any master can fail with internal leak past the cup. Nothing wrong with dual or single. It's that some people have this idea that if they get a severe leak the other half will still work-wrong. Those with a dual master do this test. Cut your rear brake hose and report back what happens

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
my 63 vette has discs up front. was normal driving and the brakes got sloppy. looked at dual master and had no fluid in th back
cylinder. the residual pressure valve blew up. jd

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Finally got some time to finish this upgrade now if the weather would turn off nice I can give a road test. This kit (58 Delivery)went on great and easy to assymble. After bleeding it it unsucessfully twice I resorted back to my old school way of the ol gatorade bottle with a hole drilled in the cap and a piece of clear tubing inserted to bottom fill the bottle enough to submerge end of tube . The other end over the bleed screw and crack it open pump pedal a couple tomes tighten bleeder down and move on to next wheel repeat process checking master inbetween for more fluid. BINGO pedal like it was before :happy