Disc Brakes on a 58

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I went to a cruise in at Steak and Shake in Springfield on Sat. We pulled in and parked and a 58 wagon pulled in and parked next to us. It was a work in progress, 348 250 HP with a 700 4R trans and disc brakes on the front. He said that when he gets on it at from a standing start it sounds and feels like it is going to tear the frame out of the car. I said it sounded like it was an alighnment problem on his drive shaft. But now to the disc brakes, he said he bought a kit and it increased his front track by about and inch and really messed up his turning radius. Is there a disc brake kit for 58's that keeps the stock width for the front tires?:dunno Roy

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
tripowerguy,,,I'm just starting to install front dics on my 59, i have looked into lots of kits and all said they move the wheels out 3/8in. to 15/16 in.
The kit i got was from cpp and it fits 55-58 and with a shim (which they send)
fits 59-64. this kit moves wheels out 15/16. i was told this will not change a thing as far as turning or alignment. So far it is going very well, but just have pass. side done. Still have more to go. I called one time asked two ?s
and got answers fast. If i had one bad thing to say is the bearings they sent are made in china (not timken). But the best thing is i ordered the $339.00
kit and when i got it they sent the drilled and slotted rotors instead of making me wait for the plain rotors, now that is great service....and all the parts are new not rebuilt. and have a life time warranty.
hope this helps,,,,,,,mike

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Are you running stock offset wheels? I am trying to remember and I believe this guy had reversed wheels with dog dish hubcaps. I don't want to put them on and find that I upset the turning radius. I was thinking if it does I'm going to a dual master cylinder and keep the drum brakes. Somewhere here on the site is a thread that said you can go to your local parts store and buy a dual master cylinder that is a direct bolt on and you just change the lines.:clap Roy

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi,,,i have 15x7 with 3-3/4 back set and the tires are P215-70 rad.
i hope i do not have any trouble from this after all the reading and money spent, but i'm keeping all the stock stuff just in case.
as far as master cyl. i think you are right.
mike

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
14 inch won't fit

14 inch stock rims on my 62 would not fit the disc rotor/caliper. Went to torq-thrust 14 front-15 rear. Camaro-Chevelle 14 inch rims might fit.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
14x6 Camaro

These are 69 Camaro 14x6 with 4" backspace. Clears the caliper on my disc conversion. Check the pics

Attachments

• wheel1.JPG
    wheel1.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 34
  • wheel2.JPG
    wheel2.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 34
  • wheel3.JPG
    wheel3.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 36

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
58 Disc brakes

I've got a disc conversion kit on order for my 58 Bel Air, has a 235 6 Cyl but am putting in a approx 300 hp 348 and don't trust those orig single master brakes. I've already got some 15" american chrome rally wheels on it and I hope that they will work.:dunno
Any tips would be helpfull and if I find outr some new info I'll let you know. Found a webb site, maybe you already know called Pirate Jack's hot rod oem, this site has a lot of info on brakes and coversion kit instructions.
Thanks John

Attachments

• my 58 lo rez.jpg
    my 58 lo rez.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 29

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Disc Brake Kits

Has anyone seen the new Summit catalog (Oct.). On page 11 they have disc brake kits for 55-58 and 59-64 full size Chevys from $ 349.95- $549.95 depending on what you want. I'm sure they are imported, but being they come from Summit, it sounds like a deal to me. Skip:)