Distributor and pulley question

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I'm in the process of researching and buying parts for my 409. So, let me ask, what distributor is everyone using?? I used a Mallory in my 348/434 but those things are expensive. Anything equally as good and cheaper out there?? Also, my '62 has power steering. I think I'm going to need a double pulley on the crank?? Presently a 350 sb is in the car. Can I used the pulley that is there for the 409 or do I need something special??
Thank you, Carmine.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Purchased a MSD ready to run, screwed with it for about 6-7 hours. All it would do is spin and every once in a while would pop back thru the carbs. Put my Pertronics II back in and runs great. The new MSD (almost $500.00) is setting under the work bench. Had it for several months before I tried it, so I could not send it back. Spoke with Ronnie at GB, he said MSDs quality has really gone down and are producing some real junk.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

chuckl

Well Known Member
I have a stock 348/409 distributor with a Mallory Unlite module, Mallory coil and a Mallory ballast resistor. No problems--runs great. Chuck

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, all of my pulleys are from a small block. Everything lines up perfectly. I am not sure if there would be any difference in pulley diameters. Someone here should know. You will need a double pulley on the crank to run power steering. Good luck with your engine build!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Those smallblock pulleys would have to be from a short water pump set up,wouldnt they?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I found some double pulleys on line and Show Cars also has them. Just trying to figure out what I need before I need it, if that makes sense. Thank you everyone, Carmine.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The HiPo versions used deep groove pulleys. Not sure if there is an aftermarket of those pulleys.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I wondered why some were deep grooved but didn't want to ask. Now I know. Thanks.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Check your block if the front driver side lower holes are tapped for the PS bracket, if not have it tapped at the machine shop.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Excellent idea. I'm going to the shop tomorrow and will check on this. Have to ask though, how would I know where to tap the block?? Are there like raised portions that are thicker and can accommodate a tap?? We certainly don't want to tap into something that is not suppose to be. Thanks, Carmine.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Deep groove pulleys were generally used on all of the hi po solid lifter GM engines. Usually kept the belts from flying off at high rpm. The front of the block will have 3 raised "bosses" on each side that may or may not already be tapped for accessories..

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Bit of a thread hijack, would those tapped ps bracket holes be the same ones for a Hurst front mount? Just wondered cos my block was drilled and tapped on the drivers side, but not the passenger side. I just thought someone had started a job and then gave up!

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
As a general rule, all the car blocks were tapped on the drivers side and truck blocked tapped on both sides. There are variations out there. There was a thread on this tapped holes subject several years ago an I remember their were no hard and fast rules to go by. Leo

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Belt quality today is miles ahead of the 60s-70s. Perfect square, straight alignment will keep the belts from climbing the pulley groove. Probably won't expand till 8,000 or so. I have the Deep but it's just for looks. I've run regulars to very high RPM without problems. Just use Gates, Dayco, Goodyear......etc.