Distributor oil leak

John Whigham

My engine builder has a concern about trying to use a pertronix distributor in my 409. The distributor was supposed to be specifically for a 409 build, he doesn't agree. He says the hole in the intake is so much larger than the diameter of the distributor shaft that it is sure to leak? He said something about a sleeve was available just for this, does anyone have any experience ?

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The sleeve he is talking about is an adapter available to install the small block distributor into the 348/409 engine. The small block dist. is smaller in diameter and longer in overall length. The specific 348/409 distributor will work just fine. Many of us look at the adapter as a hookey band aid that had lack of oil transfer to the top end issues in the past. Not recommended. Leo This what it looks like. http://www.show-cars.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=7719

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Unless you got a small block distributor by mistake? Post a pic?

Don

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
It's pretty easy to tell the difference between the bottom end of a W-distributor and a SBC/BBC distributor. Your engine builder should be familiar enough to recognize a SBC/BBC one by sight.

Here's a photo stolen from Chevytalk and with labels added that show distributors from a SBC/BBC on the left and 348/409 on the right. Note the thin, larger diameter intake mating flange on the W one, as well as the shorter space between the machined rings around the oil groove and the center machined ring.

w-block_sbc-bbc_distributors.jpg

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have had no leaks from my distributor. The only problem was the broken cap when it was delivered.
Distributor002_zps1662715d.jpg

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It's pretty easy to tell the difference between the bottom end of a W-distributor and a SBC/BBC distributor. Your engine builder should be familiar enough to recognize a SBC/BBC one by sight.

Here's a photo stolen from Chevytalk and with labels added that show distributors from a SBC/BBC on the left and 348/409 on the right. Note the thin, larger diameter intake mating flange on the W one, as well as the shorter space between the machined rings around the oil groove and the center machined ring.

View attachment 29255
Hey... That picture looks familiar!!:rub:p
Rick